Coil not charging - help

Discriminator

Jan 3, 2015
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Whites DFX, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ok - problem #1:. The coil isn't charging and I can only shake my head at this charging attached XP has. What a joke - I hope this isn't an insight into how things will be. I can say whether it's it connector internals or the sloppy clamp fit

Thoughts?

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Switch to one of the other leads. Make sure the clamp makes good contact. Sometimes those little wires break. If that is the case, switching to one of the other two will tell you right away.

OP
OP
D

Discriminator

Jan 3, 2015
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Whites DFX, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's the clip for on the coil. A loose fit; not quite Square with the ridges on the coil cover. I'm surprised there's not a better solution out there

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is, do a search on Detecting Doodads. He makes a 3D printed alternative charging clip. Also XP has upgraded, slightly, the charging clip design from the original. It is definitely a weak link.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes. The thing that keeps the pressure on it, to make contact is a little piece of plastic. In a pinch one day I used a stout rubber band to hold it on correctly. Worked very well. I always have a spare these days.

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Make sure coil cover is clean inside and attached properly. I've never noticed a loose fit so I would look elsewhere after you are sure the cover is on right because the clip has spring loaded contacts. The wire itself is suspect. Try using the data cable just on the coil and see if it works. One other thing--take a damp cloth and wipe off the two contact points on the coil.

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is going to be play in the charger clip because the contacts are spring loaded. Just make sure/look it is on properly over the coil cover.

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try to plug in wall-wart without wires connected and wait for red light to come on. Hook up charging clip to coil, then plug wire into wall-wart

relicmeister

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2012
Poconos, Nw.NJ & Delaware Valley
Detector(s) used
XP Orx Deus II, 9” coil
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Do what I did and take a cheap small plier, zip tie each jaw to each side of the charge clip. Electric tape keeps that from slipping. The greatly increased leverage makes it quite easy to get good reliable contact. All for the cost of dollar store pliers.

tnsharpshooter

Jul 10, 2012
Tn
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus 2, Xp Deus 1, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Clean contacts on coil with pencil eraser and retry.
Also try a different power source in lieu of little box Xp supplies. It could be bad.
Be careful with clip. Tender baby. Don’t open too much. Just enough to clear coil edge.

RW

Feb 7, 2007
Fort Worth'ish
Detector(s) used
Golden uMax w/CleanSweep - XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Wow never knew so many people had issues with coil charger. I always thought the remote connection was the weak link. Had Deus since version 1 and haven't had problem with either. But recently got the 9.5 HF and noticed the coil charge connector is a little tougher to snap on. Original battery still going strong as well.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
When I clip the charger to the coil, I have to have the coil on a flat surface so the clip doesn’t misalign. This helps make better contact.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread