Coin finds from my last few hunts

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't post very often, but I look a lot. I am waiting on the "epic" hunt where I find a handful of Barber coins, perhaps a seated or two and at least half a handful of V nickels and Indian Head pennies. Well, after a few months of hoping, door knocking and hitting about anything promising, I am not sure if this will happen anytime soon. So, I decided to post some pictures of my last few finds and a few from a few months ago.

Yesterday, I drove out to a town about 45 minutes from me that has a quantity of sidewalks and I had visions of an empty lot that I had spied a few times. Seems like I have pretty good luck in this town both getting permission and finding a few things. It was pouring down rain at about 9:00 am and I didn't want to door knock and wake any late sleepers up, so I hit a long sidewalk, with the intent of finishing back at a curb side tree where I had found 3 Mercury dimes around at the beginning of the year. The tree and sidewalk didn't hold anything here (I pounded it too hard in the past), but at the very end of the sidewalk I found this 1908-D Barber dime. Sure looks better than the two paper thin ones I found this year.

It was under a root and it took some fancy "Lesche maneuvering" to get it out. I only thought IT COULD be a silver because of my readings, but then I completely flipped it out of the hole. It was 5-6 inches down. I had also found 4 Wheats at random spots around the sidewalks. Oldest one was a 1919. I guess it was worth getting covered in mud and being cold.

20141105_110628_resized.jpg 20141106_174626_resized.jpg 20141106_174636_resized.jpg

Today, the weather was cleared up and I went back out to the town mentioned above and got permission on a huge lot (it was actually where 3 houses stood). I only had perhaps 2 hours and I centered my searching around a old stump. I found only wheats today. Oldest was a 1936. I also found this old aluminum token. I will try and go back again and do a more thorough search when time dictates. Interestingly, all the wheats was found around one side of the stump in a very small area. My guess is that there was probably a shady branch on that side. It is also interesting that some of the wheats are almost annihilated by the ground but then 1-2 look almost mint. I would say 80% of the ones I dig in my state has some heavy ground action. Nickels have the worse damage.

I was hoping to beat my record of 9 wheats, but I was called to help out with some work that I promised someone I would do, so I only ended up with 8 today.

Not real sure what the token is about.
20141106_175029_resized.jpg 20141106_175038_resized.jpg 20141106_174600_resized.jpg

The last set of finds are from 3 hunts ago. Jublain and I hit a well detected church. About the only thing left is nickels and trash. I basically walk around and pick out all nickel signals. These nickels are between the 40s and 50s. I still have not found a single war nickel this year. Seems I find them in the years just before and after though. I also have been almost completely finding Jefferson nickels too, but there is satisfaction knowing that I am still finding these because it tells me I am on the right track.

20141106_174917_resized.jpg

The SLQ was found 2 inches off the sidewalk about 2 inches deep. I came behind Jublain and I asked him if he left me any crumbs. At first I found a memorial cent and then the pinpointer kept going off and I then flipped the SLQ out of the hole. This is only the 3rd one I have come across. The 1964 Rosy was found in a bean field where an old school sat. I am still patting my self on the back because this is the only silver that has been found by us in this field, although Jublain found a Indian Head earlier this week.

20141106_174713_resized.jpg 20141106_174725_resized.jpg

And finally my last two pics is the big ol' pile of wheats that I have found since September. No real good dates, except one or two may be worth a $1 or so. 51 total since September. The final picture is my jar of memorial and zinc pennies that I have found since January 2014. Looks like I need to clean them up and send them through the machine. I have another jar about as full from 2013. Wished silver dimes were this plentiful. I could buy a car.

20141106_175002_resized.jpg 20141106_175118_resized.jpg

Maybe real soon I can get my epic hunt in and I won't have to wait so long to post!

Last edited:
Upvote 16
OP
OP
Pointman

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread