Coin probe.... Do you use one?........ If yes why, if no why?

golddredgergold

Dec 8, 2008
Detector(s) used
DFX, Gold Master 2, Surfmaster PI, TF900, Falcon MD20, Arc Geo Logger
Coin probes. Brass or steal with a ball on the end. Whats your style and take on the coin probe. Do you use one? Why? or Why not?
Probe.jpg

I dig a plug for all targets. I use my pinpointer to locate the target and remove it from the plug. I am thinking of trying a coin probe but have read some stories of guy/gals hurting coins with it. I have already made a nice brass probe and I am ready to take it out and give it a whirl.

Upvote 0

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
myagi8 said:
With the newer detectors able to pinpoint better, and the advent of the handheld pinpointer, the retrieval of coins and artifacts is easier than a decade or less farther back. However, like many here, I started out with a ground down screwdriver for artifact digging around old ghost towns until one fine day when I badly marked a valuable coin. Lets face it, metal is metal, brass or steel it will scratch a potentially valuable find. I personally love using a probe and I continue to use a coin probe to this day, but I now use a mini carbon shaft one (not metal) I bought from http://www.ut10.com/products.html. I started using this carbon fiber probe a year ago and haven't scratched a single find since.

I also like the fact that neither of my metal detectors or electronic pinpointer gives off a signal from the probe because there is no metal in it, so I can find my target much quicker too.

I have been probin' coins for pushin' twenty years. Probing and pushing. Probing and pushing. Never probe-scratched a coin. Hacked a few with the spade. How many coins have you scratched with a probe? Brass or otherwise? This is a good topic!!!

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I stopped using a probe like a brass rod or screw driver and like to use a bayonet which is dull as heck but it wedges in the ring or pull tab instead of going all around it. I don't think I have ever scratched a coin but most of my coins are clad anyway. Depends on where you are searching and the ground, rocks and stones. You get a feel for what it is when touching it. I've seen guys stab a probe into the dirt to find the coins and these guys should be finding land mines.

team sidewinder

Apr 14, 2013
SW MONTANA
Detector(s) used
MINELAB XTERRA 705 , CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I use one in the public parks when coin hunting. After getting the exact location with my pro-pointer I usually can just use my finger to extract the coin. Usually use a homemade probe from a stainless car radio antenna. Would like to get a Garrett brass coin probe. Saves me from cutting a plug when the coin is only a inch under the surface.

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 950, U13,6"Exc & 4x6 Coils, Coinmaster GT 4x6 & NEL Hunter coil, TRX Pin Pointer, CZE-T200 FM Transmitter, Sangean DT-400W and ER6i in-ears.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Use a screwdriver in schools and parks. With the TRX I can pop a coin up to 3" deep (depending on soil conditions) in far less time the digging a plug. Don't even use the pinpointer on the MD.. just wiggle to the toe, use the TRX, coin is right where I push in the screwdriver, move to the back of the coin and wiggle a slot, move to the front wiggle the slot, pop it out and move on.. no mess no dead soccer field grass... deeper than 3" then I cut the plug. Much more fun when there is lots of clad.

WhiteTornado

Jun 18, 2013
Baltimore/DC area
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Cibola, Garrett Pro-pointer, Sampson T-handle Shovel, Lesche hand digger, Garrett and Gray Ghost Ultimate headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't use one, I just use my Lesche digger. I feel like I've gotten pretty good with digging plugs, even in parks or at schools. Granted, not every plug comes out perfect every time, but I think that is the case no matter what tools or techniques one is using. With a probe, I think I would need to see one used in person in conjunction with the detector signals to see how it is best used.

Detector Wars

Nov 26, 2008
That's the main way we hunt for new coins here in australia. You can get really good at it, I know a guy who only hunts like that and he can dig anything! Not good for old coins though, obviously.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread