Coin Roll Hunting in NYC

marketing

Greenie
Mar 24, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey all!

First time posting on this forum but reading it was what got me into CRH a little bit last year. It was definitely easier when I was in college because I lived in upstate NY and had a car, now that I am in Manhattan I am trying to figure out how to make CRH work.

I don't really want to be walking around with large amounts of money and I assume that there is less silver floating around than in rural areas. Has anyone had any luck hunting in NYC - if so any tips on which banks to use and how to go about picking up/dumping?

Cheers,

Jim

Upvote 0

mleblanc138

Feb 24, 2011
Orem, Utah
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Two people who used to post regularly on these forums, CardsNCoins and db23 had a lot of success CRHing in NYC. I use a backpack to carry my coins so I don't look like I have big money on me.

AgHawk

Mar 22, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A car in Manhattan isn't going to help you anyway.

As for your specific situation, there are too many missing variables. The biggest being what denomination do you search? Another being do you do boxes or just go bank to bank asking for loose halves? etc....

Get a little more specific and you may find some members ready to offer you the help you're looking for.

OP
OP
M

marketing

Greenie
Mar 24, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Backpack is definitely a good idea, it wouldn't look too suspicious.

AgHawk - True, I'm just used to living in a rural area where I can drive to a bank's doorstep rather than walking around a city. I plan to go for halves, I'll probably start off by going around to the Chase banks near me asking for halves and if things start to work out well I'll move up to boxes.

I would like to eventually go through a couple boxes a week when I have a decent plan for dumping it all. I am thinking I will sign up for a TD Bank account so that I can use the Penny Arcade.

d2arcing

Bronze Member
Jun 22, 2009
you should just dress nicely and walk around with a mini suitcase as that can hold four boxes pretty easy i would think vs 100 lbs on your back,,,

Piledriver

May 21, 2011
I feel sorry for you guys that do CRHing in dangerous areas.

I wouldn't last a day, what with loud mouthed tellers announcing to everyone, "...EIGHT, NINE, ONE THOUSAND--ONE, TWO, THREE..."

Keep on Rollin'!

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't go near the cities, unless the bank is in the absolute nicest part of the city. I prefer rural areas, driving 10-20 miles between banks.

OP
OP
M

marketing

Greenie
Mar 24, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One advantage to living in NYC - the banks are open on Sundays. I just opened an account at a TD Bank and met with the branch supervisor to explain in advance what I plan on doing. She was very nice and said that depositing thousands in coins wouldn't be any issue whatsoever, she will even try to order me boxes of halves (they don't currently have any). Just goes to show that honesty works best in most situations.

Hopefully I'll get a chance to go through some next weekend and report back on how it went.

Last edited:

mleblanc138

Feb 24, 2011
Orem, Utah
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you should just dress nicely and walk around with a mini suitcase as that can hold four boxes pretty easy i would think vs 100 lbs on your back,,,

I make two trips to carry a 4 box order so that it's only 50 pounds on my back. Plus, you would still have to lift the mini suitcase into the car. I'm so glad I live in a safe place like Utah where there's really not much to worry about.

AgHawk

Mar 22, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't go near the cities, unless the bank is in the absolute nicest part of the city. I prefer rural areas, driving 10-20 miles between banks.

One less hunter to worry about works for me, I just don't get the part about you wanting to waste gas. :icon_scratch:

q3lac

Mar 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Just a heads up to Piledriver, New York City isnt a "dangerous area." You should check it out sometime, it's quite nice actually.

OP
OP
M

marketing

Greenie
Mar 24, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went to a few Chase banks this morning. The first bank I went to the teller said she would try to get me a box and she will give me a call if/when she gets it.

At the second Chase the head teller told me that they don't carry halves and it isn't possible for her to order any.

The head teller at the third Chase was awesome. She asked me multiple times "Are you sure you only want one box?" and offered to get me as many boxes as I want.

Looks like I'll be stopping into Chase #3 pretty often 8). I'm surprised at how much the policies differ within a 1/2 mile radius for same bank.

Edit: Anyone happen to know how much a box weighs? Trying to figure out how much I can reasonably carry in a backpack.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions