silverdollarbill

Aug 27, 2012
Dirty Jerz
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I picked up this coin silver spoon.

The makers mark looks like “H. WHITCOMB’ to me. I could have sworn I saw this mark before but I can’t find any info on it. Does anyone recognize it?

002799A2-956C-4252-B4E4-398D549CC2CF.jpeg
2D949613-1BBD-4D1B-9B78-23DDA810A46C.jpeg

OP
OP
S

silverdollarbill

Aug 27, 2012
Dirty Jerz
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found some info: https://www.numisbids.com/n.php?p=lot&sid=1273&lot=222

Henry Whitcomb was a jeweler, watchmaker and inventor in New York in the early 1800s. In 1827 he was granted a patent for an improvement in the method of discharging cannon and ship-guns.

These coin silver spoons aren't fancy, but it blows my mind to find 200 yr old silver spoons at garage sales and thrift stores.

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice spoon from a fairly obscure maker that isn't commonly seen. Here's a bit more for you:

In relation to ‘H. Whitcomb’ countermarks on silver coins, you’ll see biographical information beginning with the words: "Henry Whitcomb arrived in Adams, NY in 1804 as a jeweler and watchmaker”. That information has been perpetuated in auction catalogues (eg ‘The Philadelphia Americana Sale’ of 14-16 September 2011) but it’s not completely correct since it’s a misquote from the original source.

It’s derived from the information on p.379 of ‘The Growth of a Century: as Illustrated in the History of Jefferson County ...’ by John A. Haddock. The actual text reads:

"Henry Whitcomb came to Adams in 1804. He was a jeweler of great ingenuity, and few people in the vicinity cared to purchase a timepiece that had not been approved by Henry Whitcomb. He was exact to a moment in his calculation of time, and for many years he regulated the time of the Rome and Watertown Railroad with great precision. He married Miss Clarinda Holley, and resided in Adams over sixty years. He died in Detroit in 1886."

So, he did come to Adams, NY in 1804 but he wasn’t a jeweler at that time. He was, at most, 5 years old, having been born in 1799/1800 in Massachusetts. Census records from 1830 onwards show him residing in Adams with his wife Clarinda plus children Elizabeth and Edward. He also appears in the 1859 & 1882 New York state business directory as a “dealer in watches & jewelry” in Adams. The information that he was granted a patent on 25 October 1827 for an improvement in the method of discharging cannon and ship-guns is correct.

Various ‘H. Whitcomb' countermarks on coins are known, sometimes followed by the location ‘Adams’ and occasionally followed by a date (I’ve seen 1827 and 1831 reported). The spelling is sometimes ‘Whitcom’ but it’s not clear if this is an alternative spelling or the result of the end part of the punch trailing off.

Last edited:

captain flintlock

Jul 21, 2015
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That’s an awesome find! Style wise I would put that one in the 1820’s! I would use it too!! Love using some of my early silver spoons!

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How interesting the stories some of these old objects found can tell. I wonder if Whitcomb ever produced a timepiece on his own in a America? I believe timepieces that were made in this country during the late 18th and early 19th century are very rare and probably worth a lot of money in any condition.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread