Coin Spill Found with BIG SILVER!

Cal_Cobra

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2008
Northern California
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800 & Makro Multi Kruzer, the rest are collecting dust...
Went detecting with a couple of detecting buddies yesterday with my upgraded F75 LTD2.

I decided to wonder over into a field that hasn't really give much up in the past. First find was what looks like an old 1800's binocular eye piece? The a few minutes later I got a wheatie. Didn't think much about it, a wheatie is a new coin for this site. Then a few feet away from the wheatie I got an odd signal. Dug it and got another wheatie. Stuck the pin-pointer back in the hole, and it was singing and dancing! Started pulling wheat after wheat, then an indian, hit some nickels, a buffalo and two V nickels, couple more wheaties and another indian. Rescanned the hold with the detector and it was quite. Thought OK, that's cool, my first old coin spill, but thought it was odd that there wasn't a single silver coin. I decided to grid the area around the coin spill, and about ten feet away I got a 1917S Merc. Continued my grid pattern, and five feet away from that I got a 94 on my F75. It was one of those too good to be true signals, and I was thinking, OK given the coin spill, maybe it's a half. I carefully dug it and out popped a BIG DISC! It was coated in dirt so I couldn't see the front, flipped it over and couldn't see the back either, so I did the unthinkable, put it into my mouth :tongue3: I've done this with half dollars before, but this was larger, when I took it out, I could now see that I had dug my first Morgan silver dollar, an 1878S!

I called my friend over who was swinging a CTX3030 with a 17" coil to see the Morgan, and he helped scan the area to make sure I didn't miss anything, and he didn't get a single signal. Now the site we were detecting predates the Morgan by about one hundred years, but I was pretty stoked with the find :hello2:

Here's the coins freshly dug, just rinsed the silver off under the faucet with a toothbrush:

Just%20Dug.jpg

Here they are all cleaned up, I like how some of the coins have kept their original color where they were sandwiched together:

All%20Clean1.jpg

All%20Clean2.jpg

Here's the relics. The oval piece next to the buttons was pretty deep and I originally thought it was a piece of junk. But when I got it cleaned up, I believe it's a 1700's Spanish Saint Christopher medallion with a sideways clasp. Bummer it's in such poor condition.

Relics1.jpg

Relics2.jpg

Happy hunting,
Brian

Upvote 44

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
Cal , I forgot to say Welcome to the Silver Dollar Club ! Fairly elite metal detecting company actually -as most will never find one !

I agree, some will find other coins worth over thousands, but never a silver dollar. Considering not many people used them, they are very hard to find, Congrats!

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know how I missed this a month ago but man, congrats on such a wonderful take!, that morgan is a stunner, jealous dude here!!

Silverslug

Aug 14, 2014
Nevada
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Killer coin spill. I hope to join the silver dollar club some day, but in 10 months of detecting, the best I've managed is a 1953 silver quarter. It's time to do my research and get to work. There must have been some reason that all those coins were within that small area. What is the history of the site?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread