Collecting Political Items (History on Parade) - more photos added

nebstater

Jul 24, 2007
Star City
Detector(s) used
White's - DFX,Prizm V, Spectra V3
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This is a wide open hobby. You can collect buttons, ribbons, banners, glass, posters, and on and on. Anything that can be used to get a candidates name in front of the electorate, has been used. Most of us that collect this type of item began with buttons. Primarily, presidential buttons. Over time we have moved on to other items. I've branched out to where I collect pins from all 50 states for candidates for governor, u.s. senator, and congress. For the most part, they are small and don't take up a large space. My small state collection is in excess of 14,000 pins. I also have at least that many presidentials. As I've said earlier, we branch out. Now, I like the old 3-D items almost better than the pins and ribbons. I'll picture a few of the items in my collection to show you why these items from the turn of the last century are so highly collected. Graphics, color, and (it used to be) availability, were some of the reasons I began collecting. There is a National Organization, called the American Political Items Collectors, that has officers, regions, and they put on shows all over the country every year, and have a national convention every two years. It's a fun hobby, great people, and a great way to study history. Hope you enjoy some of the pictures. This is just a small sample of items that are available to the collector. HH

Attachments

• 2-7-07 003.jpg
    2-7-07 003.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 277
  • Latest finds 001.jpg
    Latest finds 001.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 279
  • button cashe 1a.jpg
    button cashe 1a.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 286
  • Junk 009a.jpg
    Junk 009a.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 274

TORPEDOX

Aug 23, 2007
Payette Id.
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S MXT
NICE collection! I have just one button, a "Goldwater" about an inch in diameter.
worth any thing? its in near mint condition.

OP
OP
nebstater

nebstater

Jul 24, 2007
Star City
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
TORPEDOX said:
NICE collection! I have just one button, a "Goldwater" about an inch in diameter.
worth any thing? its in near mint condition.
It depends on the pin. If it is just a word pin, say black writing on a gold background, maybe $3 or $4. If it is a picture pin, from $5 to $10 maybe. If it's a jugate (a pin that pictures both the Presidential and the Vice Presidentidal candidates), it could be worth anywhere from $5 to $100. It just depends on which particular pin that you have. Goldwater had several hundred different pins. If you can describe it a little more, I can give you a better idea as to what it's worth.
Larry

OP
OP
nebstater

nebstater

Jul 24, 2007
Star City
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ashleen said:
Nebs,

That's a pretty cool collection you have.
Is that Barbara Striesand between JT + CK on the McGovern pin????
what's the small wrting under McGovern?

I have a couple of Reagan thingies...

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,55864.0.html

Looks like the collecting bug has hit you hard. Looked at your post, and see that you have lots of pictures and magazines. They really help spruce up a display when doing a showing. The earliest cut out dolls that I have in my collection are for Nixon in the 1960 race that he lost to JFK. The pins that you have in your grouping, are all fairly common items, but they are nice mementos to have. I have about 3 or 4 hundred different Reagan pins, but that's not really many when you consider that he ran for Governor of Callifornia, was a favorite son in 1968, tried to dethrone Ford in 1976, and then was elected twice as President in 1980 and 1984. There are probably over 2500 different pins known for him. Politicals, like coins or any other collectible, are only worth what someone is willing to pay for them. Outside of gold, old politicals are one of the best investments that you can find.

In answer to your question about the McGovern pin. The 3 individuals pictured (left to right) are Carole King, Barbra Streisand, James Taylor, then under McGovern's name is says "Use the Power 18 Register and Vote". If memory serves me right, I believe that the 1972 election was the first one that 18 year olds could vote in. Hope this answers your question. The pin was put out at a concert in California during the campaign, and today that pin will run you around $250 if you are lucky enough to find one.

Enjoyed your photos, and really liked your old storage trunk. WTG Larry

ashleen

Bronze Member
Aug 25, 2005
NH
nebstater said:
The pin was put out at a concert in California during the campaign, and today that pin will run you around $250 if you are lucky enough to find one.

$250...........wow!
I think if my Reagan/Elvis pin was worth that....I'd sell ;)

OP
OP
nebstater

nebstater

Jul 24, 2007
Star City
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ashleen said:
nebstater said:
The pin was put out at a concert in California during the campaign, and today that pin will run you around $250 if you are lucky enough to find one.

$250...........wow!
I think if my Reagan/Elvis pin was worth that....I'd sell ;)
The real good items, usually are issued in very low numbers. If your Elvis pin came about at say, a Elvis concert or when he may have visited the White House, it would be a limited edition pin. Like all collectibles, there has to be a demand for the item. I've never seen the pin you are talking about, but that doesn't mean anything. New items turn up all the time. I would hold on to the pin for a few more years. Since both are now no longer with us, the longer they are gone, the more your item increases in value.

The McGovern pin you were asking about, is not the most expensive pin that was pictured in the photos. I won't say which ones are costly, but there are some pins that were pictured that run in the $2000 to $4500 range. You just don't see them everyday.

Hope you enjoyed seeing a very small portion of my meager collection.
HH Larry

rdj

Greenie
Sep 14, 2005
Larry, that's a great collection you have! Thanks for posting the pics. that could really give someone the fever to begin collecting political items. Makes me want to dig through the Goldwater items my wife has just to see what all is there.
Ashleen, you have a beautiful trunk. My daughter loves old trunks but she has never had one as good as yours.

rdj

OP
OP
nebstater

nebstater

Jul 24, 2007
Star City
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
diggummup said:
Very nice collection! I like the Bryant "ear of corn" pinback. Sweet!

Thanks, Bryan items are highly collectable. Especially here in Nebraska. He served 2 terms in the House of Representatives, and was the Democratic candidate for president 3 times. 1896, 1900, and 1908. The "Ear of Corn" pin was from 1908. As an aside, that pin would cost you about $1000 to $1200 today. The really great thing about this hobby is the fact that there is an election every 4 years, and new items are always being produced. If you collect items for local races from the different states, there is an election every year, so the number of items available is mind boggeling. Again, thanks for the kind words.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread