Collection dump 2 - wheats galore

Styfflin

Jan 8, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey everyone! I am still following everyone's posts daily, just not much for me to post. I'm pretty much exclusively hunting coin counter bags these days since banks aren't willing to order or sell boxes. Some might argue that that is a good thing, and I think they are right.
I received another nice coin counter bag from a local credit union. I was just about to pour the coin out on my table when I noticed two...no five...wait seven wheat cents staring up at me!
The rest is history. 330 wheat cents were found. No Indians. No notable dates. Nothing in great condition. Just a big harvest of wheat, and it was fun! This gives me a huge head start on my second quart jar of wheat cents.
I did buy a nickel bag along with the bag of cents, but it bears a striking resemblance to a crappy bag of nickels. I'll be keeping my eyes open for those other denominations in the next couple days, so keep checking this post and hopefully I'll have some more good news for you.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1423717997.704483.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1423718036.563585.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1423718069.950654.jpg

Upvote 0

AugustMoose87

Sep 10, 2014
Longmont, CO
Detector(s) used
Gold Pan, Sluice, Hand Dredge, X-Terra 30, X-Terra 705, Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CONGRATS!! Any special technique for getting the counter-bags? I was under the impression that most banks won't sell you those...

OP
OP
Styfflin

Styfflin

Jan 8, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CONGRATS!! Any special technique for getting the counter-bags? I was under the impression that most banks won't sell you those...

No technique. Seems to be the norm around here. Back in my old city, boxes were readily available and bags were not. Now it's the other way around. I can have as many bags as I can handle most weeks, but I'm lucky to snag a box every now and then.
Bag hunting is better than roll hunting in that you can catch a multi-denomination collection dump. That happened to me a couple months ago, and hopefully that's happening again right now.

GMan00001

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It helps to have a good relationship with the bank and tellers.

I don't CRH anywhere near as heavily as I did a few years ago as I have been spending most of my time on other forms of urban treasure hunting and not exclusively CRH. That being said, when I was at the bank the other day, the teller said they don't normally sell bags to customers any more/ever, but they will continue to do so for me.

Now I have had a bank shut me down on on buying bags before as well, but in that case it was due to something where the bank's count was off and they couldn't account for $20 and decided to no longer sell bags to anyone (I wasn't the only one at this particular bank doing it). I even offered to pay the shortage just to continue buying bags as that bank always had lots of bags and was fairly close to home, but they declined.

CC-Hunter

Bronze Member
Sep 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a bunch of extra wheats that are taking up space and might just do my own collection dump into a machine. I don't think it would be cost efficient to sell them on ebay and the amount (probably just several dollars worth) doesn't make it worth it to try to find a dealer that would pay 2 or 3 cents each. So I guess I can "pay it forward" to other hunters and dump them back into circulation.

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BANKS HERE IN Hudson valley of NY will not sell full bags. as to the wheats-- '31 wheat sold at $1.29, '32 sold $1.29, '26-S sold at $9.49, '17 sold at $1.29.net profit $12 for 4 wheats. check the premium years and "S" MM's. with 1600 pieces, (all are sorted by year AND MM) I plan to group them in lots on Ebay, then sell the high quality common ones to my LCS, he pays 3 cents for non-dug. all machines in my area reject wheats and IH's, snagged a '29 wheat from the chute yesterday plus another $1.50 in clad the previous dumper left behind. HH

OP
OP
Styfflin

Styfflin

Jan 8, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got a connecting bag from the branch today. Another 66 wheats, including this nice 1909 VDB. Nothing in a quarter bag, but had a decent nickel bag with 3 war nickels and 1 buffalo. At this point I'm guessing it was just a wheat cent collection dump, but I'll keep trying for those dimes and halves just in case.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1423793787.887747.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1423793822.061234.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1423793843.420344.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread