Colonial hunt

jude061

Mar 5, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After countless hours of research, I decided to hit the woods where a 1690s village had been. I read old newspapers and town records, checked maps and survey plans, and nailed where the 1715 parsonage was before it burned in the 1870s. I got up early and hit the woods, bush whacking my way through cat briars that were tougher than barb wire. I found my landmarks -- an ancient cemetery in the woods, curves in the road, and random piles of rocks. I scoured every depression in the land that might be a cellar hole. Four hours later, months of research paid off. Just kidding -- all I found was a bud light cap -- and a recent one at that.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1472421656.288964.jpg

And that was a surface find. Back to the books, folks.

Upvote 13
OP
OP
J

jude061

Mar 5, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did find $.21 on my porch though.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1472421786.276776.jpg

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Been there. Done that. Bought the t-shirt! :occasion14:

OP
OP
J

jude061

Mar 5, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At least they took the bottle home.

david680

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2014
Salem, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lol. I wouldn't give up that quick. Try it this winter when the grounds really wet and the vegetation's all gone.

OP
OP
J

jude061

Mar 5, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't plan to give up -- I know it's in there somewhere. At least the trash is light.

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
I was BS-ing with my buddies a while back and one of them came up with good insight. Mapmakers, in all likeliness, wouldn't necessarily visit every site to verify its exact position. There's a strong case that many remote sites were estimated positions. I have found mapped positions and actual positions to vary greatly firsthand. The site is there in sure, you just need to keep looking. Study the topography more, look for water sources, and look around while you're there for where you might perhaps want to put a house.

Good luck man

Echoplex

Feb 28, 2015
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, MXT All Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was BS-ing with my buddies a while back and one of them came up with good insight. Mapmakers, in all likeliness, wouldn't necessarily visit every site to verify its exact position. There's a strong case that many remote sites were estimated positions. I have found mapped positions and actual positions to vary greatly firsthand. The site is there in sure, you just need to keep looking. Study the topography more, look for water sources, and look around while you're there for where you might perhaps want to put a house.

Good luck man

Great advice and so true! I can't believe how inaccurate some of the early USACE maps are too. I had the luxury of being able to compare them to some old aerial photography and could not believe how far off things were. In some cases buildings were over 50 yards off! That can easily be the difference between finding and not.

OP
OP
J

jude061

Mar 5, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can guarantee the maps I used were made by people who probably never visited the area. They were all made half a century later, and written descriptions are few, and more "artsy" than precise in their language.

WildWildBill

Banned
Jan 1, 2015
Orange Park, Fl
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX 950/White's Bullseye pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think you would have found something there in the ground.....a rusty nail, crusty metal, an old copper, etc. I'd check and ensure your detector is working, or working correctly. Test it out to ensure it's working right, then go there again. Check the coil too. Even if folks have detected there or archeologists have been there you should be able to find something left over.

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
I think you would have found something there in the ground.....a rusty nail, crusty metal, an old copper, etc. I'd check and ensure your detector is working, or working correctly. Test it out to ensure it's working right, then go there again. Check the coil too. Even if folks have detected there or archeologists have been there you should be able to find something left over.

I've found after many old sites that each one is unique. Some are centuries old and spread out, and others are small with very little out of the immediate radius of the home. Nothing surprises me after being humbled many many times. Also age can change what iron is left.

OP
OP
J

jude061

Mar 5, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My first thought was to check the detector -- it worked fine. I generally do a surface scan - there tends to be a lot of broken brick at sites here where the brick was repurposed. And nails abound. The absence of that cultural material makes me think I'm off the mark. As far as I've found, it's pretty neglected by archaeologists and historians, which is why I focused on it. I think I put too much faith in the maps, and was thwarted by the ground cover. I can survey a much larger area come winter and hit it in the spring when the ground thaws. I think some sites might be on the adjacent private property, so I need to spend some time getting permissions.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread