Colorado Treasure Hunting

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Does anyone know anything about treasure hunting in the Telluride/Ouray areas of Colorado? Specifically, any places where can we use a metal detector?

You can use a metal detector anywhere it's not specifically prohibited. That is: if there's nothing saying "no metal detectors", then presto, it's not prohibited.

Seajay

Jul 6, 2003
Eastern North Carolina
Detector(s) used
White's XLT, Garrett's CX w/Bloodhound, GTA 500, Whites PI
Patty, I am from Eastern NC and vacationing here in the Dillon/Frisco area with my family. I do not know if there are any specific laws prohibiting TH'ing in your part of the state. A number of years back, I stopped at a BLM or Forest Service station and asked if it would be alright to hunt on the Federal lands around Leadville. I was told I could as they had no knowledge of any MD'ing prohibitions. Was I surprised! I thought, "Surely, they will say 'no' and confiscate my machine!" I did do some searching. This state is full of stories about various kinds of treasure and, no doubt, treasure itself. Hopefully, I will recover some of it!
I know this does not answer your question, but did want to reply to your post. Good Luck and Good Hunting!

Seajay

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2

Patty, I am from Eastern NC and vacationing here in the Dillon/Frisco area with my family. I do not know if there are any specific laws prohibiting TH'ing in your part of the state. A number of years back, I stopped at a BLM or Forest Service station and asked if it would be alright to hunt on the Federal lands around Leadville. I was told I could as they had no knowledge of any MD'ing prohibitions. Was I surprised! I thought, "Surely, they will say 'no' and confiscate my machine!" I did do some searching. This state is full of stories about various kinds of treasure and, no doubt, treasure itself. Hopefully, I will recover some of it!
I know this does not answer your question, but did want to reply to your post. Good Luck and Good Hunting!

Seajay

seajay, interesting story about the BLM / Forest service people/question. You do realize, that if you'd gone back a week later, when another person was manning the counter, that you might have gotten an entirely different answer, right? Or if you'd been sure to pepper youur question with buzzwords like "dig" and "treasure" and "holes" and "indian bones" and "arpa" (lest they "not understand the full implications of your question), that you might have gotten a "no" to that question.

In other words, there is no shortages of "no's" and "yes's" to this question of "can I metal detect?" SIMPLY based on the hearer's: a) interpretation and mental connotations of your question. b) their mood c) which clerk happens to be manning the counter on that day, etc...

For this reason, I would NEVER ask a desk clerk "can I metal detect?". Why put it on someone arbitrary capricious interpretations of what they think morphs to apply to your question? Instead, you look it up for yourself. If you see nothing there that says "no metal detectors", then presto, there's your answer. It's not prohibited.

If someone in-the-field takes issue with that, and tries to say "you can't do that!" (because they think you'll bother the earthworms) FINE! Give lip service, and avoid that one griper in the future.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread