Slingshot

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2004
Southern Appalachia
Detector(s) used
Whites CM2 BFO, Harbor Freight 9 function, BH Pioneer 202, Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When sorting through common used stamps these are some of the cancels that make them worth more to some collectors. These are modern machine cancels, and are as collected as the older Fancy Cancels from the 1800's, which are expensive to collect now, but were as easy to find years ago as these modern stamps are now. NOTE - pics did not turn out in the order I listed, but you should be able to tell which ones go with the written descriptions.
First pic is a page from my album with an assortment of better cancels on used US stamps.
2nd pic is a close-up of the Coronado #898 from 1940 with a BRONX CENTRAL STATION cancel, all the New York and Boston Subway post office cancels, Grand Central, Church Street, Madison Square, Cathedral, Back Bay, etc. are sought after items and range in price from .10c to $1.
3rd pic close-up is the Pony Express #894 of 1940 with a NEW YORK WORLDS FAIR cancel which features the Trylon and Perisphere from the fair and these will run from $1 - $10. All stamps with any type of picture cancels are better stamps for value.
4th pic is an Idaho Statehood #896 of 1940 with a Circular Date Stamp (CDS), Socked On The Nose (SOTN, SON) which has the city-town name, and date it was canceled. These are very "HOT" right now and range from .10c for partial cancels, and on up to $10 for a clear well centered one like this one is.
5th pic is another Pony Express #894 with an AIRMAIL SAVES TIME cancel, these also come with a Bi-Plane, and will range from .25 for a partial on up to $10 for a clear well centered cancel. Also be aware there are like about 40 varieties of the Bi-Plane design and some of those are worth more than others.
6th pic is a #899 of 1940 with an RMS - Rail Mail Service, which means it was canceled on a train that had a small PO set up in one of the cars and was part of the system that worked by a train going by a station where a mail bag was hung out and hooked by the train as it passed and then the mail was processed by a Postal Clerk in the rail car. These are very collectible but I have no idea of prices as I have never sold any of mine, but would guess .10c on up to $1.
7th pic is of another #899 with a numeral 1 cancel, the numeral cancels will bring .10c up to about .50c and the higher the number the better the value.
Anyways, just thought I would share as I know some of you are sorting through large amounts of stamps, and these prices I am quoting are what I have actually realized in eBay auctions, and my listings on Stamps2go. In actuality these common stamps without any type of fancy cancel can be bought for .01c or less in bulk, so you can see what a difference in value some cancels can make. I now only collect the SON's, and have amassed a huge collection of 1,000's of these over the years, mostly found in batches or picked up from dealers stock for just a few cents. "Thar's gold in them thar stamps" when you know what to look for.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 125
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 102
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 103
  • 004.jpg
    004.jpg