Compact metal detector?

Midden-marauder

Dec 10, 2023
So my partner and I are adventurers as well as scavengers and wild crafters. Recon, recovery and forage in some pretty wild places, we've made some amazing discoveries together. I've recently decided to incorporate metal detection capacity into our ever growing tool kit but it's not practical for either of us to be humping in a piece of gear so cumbersome as a regular size machine especially the way we move along. We're not stopping to grid large locations for rare coins or anything. If it's apparent there's a high value find at hand we use the tools at hand, any metal detector in the kit must be able to basically fit on our utility belts or perhaps backpacks. I bought us a pair of minelab pro finder 40 pinpointers because everything else I see is probably too big. Granted, if we're looking around we won't be digging too deep unless it's a waste area or landfill but getting a bit further depth to like, oh, 6 inches would be nice. These pinpointers do have decent reach on larger targets, I've made a fair number of decent finds of various sizes. Basically, the question is, is there more handheld type detectors with somewhat larger search coils for better depth that anyone might recommend? I see scuba type units, I want opinions if I can get them first though before I invest.
Thanks for any help volunteered! Have a great day.

robertk

Bronze Member
May 16, 2023
Missouri
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
White's Spectra v3i
Garrett Ultra GTA 1000
Whites Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The XP Deus II isn't handheld, but it's pretty compact. The shaft collapses down enough I'd think you could fit the whole thing in a backpack. And if you need it even more compact than that, just take the coil and control box ("the remote") and leave the shaft at home. There's no wires, so all you really have to have is the coil and the remote, and you're good to go. You could probably even mount the coil on the end of a walking stick or cane or something if you wanted to.

relicmeister

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2012
Poconos, Nw.NJ & Delaware Valley
Detector(s) used
XP Orx Deus II, 9” coil
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I attached a rubber strap to the end of the Deus 1 elliptical coil and it was for all intents and purposes a handheld detector- wireless with wireless headphones. Doesn’t get smaller than that. Whilst still giving high performance- just not waterproof.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread