Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
Companies lay off thousands, then demand immigration reform for new labor

By BYRON YORK | SEPTEMBER 11, 2013 AT 1:23 PM

On Tuesday, the chief human resources officers of more than 100 large corporations sent a letter to House Speaker John Boehner and Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi urging quick passage of a comprehensive immigration reform bill.

The officials represent companies with a vast array of business interests: General Electric, The Walt Disney Company, Marriott International, Hilton Worldwide, Hyatt Hotels Corporation, McDonald's Corporation, The Wendy's Company, Coca-Cola, The Cheesecake Factory, Johnson & Johnson, Verizon Communications, Hewlett-Packard, General Mills, and many more. All want to see increases in immigration levels for low-skill as well as high-skill workers, in addition to a path to citizenship for the millions of immigrants currently in the U.S. illegally.

A new immigration law, the corporate officers say, "would be a long overdue step toward aligning our nation's immigration policies with its workforce needs at all skill levels to ensure U.S. global competitiveness." The officials cite a publication of their trade group, the HR Policy Association, which calls for immigration reform to "address the reality that there is a global war for talent." The way for the United States to win that war for talent, they say, is more immigration.

Of course, the U.S. unemployment rate is at 7.3 percent, with millions of American workers at all skill levels out of work, and millions more so discouraged that they have left the work force altogether. In addition, at the same time the corporate officers seek higher numbers of immigrants, both low-skill and high-skill, many of their companies are laying off thousands of workers.

For example, Hewlett-Packard, whose Executive Vice President for Human Resources Tracy Keogh signed the letter, laid off 29,000 employees in 2012. In August of this year, Cisco Systems, whose Senior Vice President and Chief Human Resources Officer Kathleen Weslock signed the letter, announced plans to lay off 4,000 — in addition to 8,000 cut in the last two years. United Technologies, whose Senior Vice President of Human Resources and Organization Elizabeth B. Amato signed the letter, announced layoffs of 3,000 this year. American Express, whose Chief Human Resources Officer L. Kevin Cox signed the letter, cut 5,400 jobs this year. Procter & Gamble, whose Chief Human Resources Officer Mark F. Biegger signed the letter, announced plans to cut 5,700 jobs in 2012.

Those are just a few of the layoffs at companies whose officials signed the letter. A few more: T-Mobile announced 2,250 layoffs in 2012. Archer-Daniels-Midland laid off 1,200. Texas Instruments, nearly 2,000. Cigna, 1,300. Verizon sought to cut 1,700 jobs by buyouts and layoffs. Marriott announced "hundreds" of layoffs this year. International Paper has closed plants and laid off dozens. And General Mills, in what the Minneapolis Star-Tribune called a "rare mass layoff," laid off 850 people last year.

There are more still. In all, it's fair to say a large number of the corporate signers of the letter demanding more labor from abroad have actually laid off workers at home in recent years. Together, their actions have a significant effect on the economy. According to a recent Reuters report, U.S. employers announced 50,462 layoffs in August, up 34 percent from the previous month and up 57 percent from August 2012.

"It is difficult to understand how these companies can feel justified in demanding the importation of cheap labor with a straight face at a time when tens of millions of Americans are unemployed," writes the Center for Immigration Studies, which strongly opposes the Senate Gang of Eight bill and similar measures. "The companies claim the bill is an 'opportunity to level the playing field for U.S. employers' but it is more of an effort to level the wages of American citizens."

katdancing

Jun 16, 2012
central wisconsin
Detector(s) used
whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In my factory experience there are too many immigrants that did not have the training for the job. Nor could they (or choose not to) speak English. This practice put all employees in danger as there was no common language. Further more when ICE droped in to ck for illegals, the companies called each other so not everyone was busted.
My company went around to all departments & told the people if you are illegal - leave & come back tomorrow. We need to get back to our original roots were everyone comes to America through the proper channels which are already in place. Enforce the current laws. Truth always prevails.

Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excal II, At pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One of the main drivers of the layoffs is the BO healthcare law. The companies feel they need a low wage semi slave so that the healthcare requirements will not eat too deeply into their bottom line.

The Crony Capitalism culture is at it's zenith. As soon as Imelt was put on the BO's jobs think tank, and aarp joined up with the BO on the BOcare everyone should have seen it. And then the BO was reelected? Even with all of the cartoons and dead people that voted for him enough Americans should have stood against him!

Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) —

took you twenty years to notice? then blame president Obama?

Are you lost? You realize we are talking about the here and now, right? You do realize that Nafta did not take BOcare and Amnesty into the equation? You are a smart fella, quit insulting your intelligence. Come back and let's have fun without the weird implications, and wild stretches of the imagination.

Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pip. You are stretching. Although I think you have a lot to offer, I believe you are blinded by something. I have found that I am left of center. Come join me! I really could use your help!

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
WEE don kare what you do justt give us yobs. We wrk cheep, no steel nothin and helthkare? Wee don need no stinkin helthkare. Wee takin yor yobs, yor foodstamp y yor wellfare.Maybee yor wemmen to. (Overheard near the mayor's office yesterday)

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
So what should we do Blame Bush? Get real
Well, both parties are equally to blame. Back in '94 when the Rep. had the clout, they didn't do one thing to stop the flood of illegals. Nobody gave a crap, because it meant cheap help for childcare, cheap domestic help, cheap help for yardcare. The people with educations didn't care because they didn't have to compete with them. It was strictly a socio-economic problem for the "lower" classes. I saw what it did to construction wages, firsthand. They literally froze at about 1980 levels. Neither Bush ever tried to stop it...same for the Dems. I'm a conservative, and I laugh at the fix the Republicans are now in. They didn't want to do anything, because their big corporate backers wanted the cheap help.....now they're getting their asses handed to them by the Hispanic vote...just what they deserve IMHO.
Jim

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread