Competition Ripping Down my Garage Sale Signs

1treasurehunter1

Feb 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
Whites M6, Garrett Sea Hunter MK2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I put up several garage sale signs yesterday night and it looks like my competion or a neighbor that doesn't like garage sales went around and ripped them all off. I really hate idiots like that! Not only are they p@ssing me off, they're wasting my time and my money and literally attacking my source of income!!! I swear if I caught the person doing it I would give them HELL!

Anybody have a similar experience?

Last edited:

Tallone

Sep 4, 2013
In a gloomy castle on a lonely hill
Primary Interest:
Other
Dejapooh may be right. A couple of years ago I headed for an auction run by a local company. I had been to a lot of their auctions and they always put up signs to guide you to the location. In this case, the auction was being held in the adjacent county and I had a devil of a time finding the place. The auctioneer apologized for the lack of signs. He said someone from the county came around that morning and took them all down and then cited him for a code violation. Sucks for him but it worked out well for me. The crowd was small so the prices were really good. The auctioneer told me he wouldn't do an auction in that county again.

Or... it might just be a grumpy neighbor who doesn't like signs.

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have seen police officers pull over and take them down here where I live. The one guy I watched him get out of his cruiser walk over rip it off throw it in the back of his car and leave.

If you have them often I would say it's somebody that lives in your neighborhood or on your road actually probably right next door to you or they're pretty close.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In Orlando it is against the law without garage sale permit, no permit no garage sale or signs..

Last edited:

Butter Hat

Apr 6, 2014
In ur innerwebz
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dejapooh may be right. A couple of years ago I headed for an auction run by a local company. I had been to a lot of their auctions and they always put up signs to guide you to the location. In this case, the auction was being held in the adjacent county and I had a devil of a time finding the place. The auctioneer apologized for the lack of signs. He said someone from the county came around that morning and took them all down and then cited him for a code violation. Sucks for him but it worked out well for me. The crowd was small so the prices were really good. The auctioneer told me he wouldn't do an auction in that county again.

Or... it might just be a grumpy neighbor who doesn't like signs.

Happened to us and we caught her at it. She yammered at us but there are no anti-sign regulations and we were putting the signs on a street sign. She doesn't own the street sign. We just put ours back.

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Go down to town hall and inquire about this. You may need a permit to hold a sale. It may be against ordinance to post signs or you may be posting them in illegal places.

You can always place an ad in the paper, CL, and local supermarket bulletin boards.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If selling list in the paper always worked best for me.

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
It's funny... I live in one of those towns within a town. It is also called a donut and donut hole town or something like that. Anyway, My tiny little "donut hole" town doesn't require any permit and you can post signs anywhere you want. However, the larger surrounding "donut" town requires a permit for all yard sales (and subsequently to post the signs).

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Also here in Ft. Myers, if you host a sale, and the Haitians get pissed at you for not selling an item for "ten cent" on an item marked $5.. they pull your signs.. happens all the time.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In my neighborhood they didn't used to mess with the signs. This past year I've noticed the wannabe cops removing them more and more. I call code enforcement officers wannabe's only because they have been officially designated as part of the Hollywood Police department. Code enforcement now drives around in police cars, the exception being the added words "code enforcement" on the side. I guess this way when some unruly citizen gets mad and punches one in the face he can get charged with a felony battery on a LEO, versus a simple assault charge. That's all I can think of anyway.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Hard to say as the OP does not elude to where in the country this happened.

In my town they restrict yard sales, and you must have a permit. You are limited to how many you can have. It's one every 90 days. More than that, it's a business, not cleaning out the garage.

A couple of times a year they let 'City Wide Yard Sales' events happen.

I agree with the city on this, and they take down the signs and shut down yard sales in violations.

Go open a business in a business area and start a thrift store.

We had some new folks move into a rental across the street. We thought they just didn't get everything moved in but as it turns out, they were setting up a permanent yard sale.

Like I want my front yard used for parking on a daily basis- and cars blocking my mailbox, and not leaving room to mow my lawn (no curbs) and the constant traffic.

It took the city two weeks to get them shut down and the renters took it to the level of being fined. They subsequently moved.

Good riddance.

OP
OP

1treasurehunter1

Feb 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
Whites M6, Garrett Sea Hunter MK2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hard to say as the OP does not elude to where in the country this happened.

In my town they restrict yard sales, and you must have a permit. You are limited to how many you can have. It's one every 90 days. More than that, it's a business, not cleaning out the garage.

A couple of times a year they let 'City Wide Yard Sales' events happen.

I agree with the city on this, and they take down the signs and shut down yard sales in violations.

Go open a business in a business area and start a thrift store.

We had some new folks move into a rental across the street. We thought they just didn't get everything moved in but as it turns out, they were setting up a permanent yard sale.

Like I want my front yard used for parking on a daily basis- and cars blocking my mailbox, and not leaving room to mow my lawn (no curbs) and the constant traffic.

It took the city two weeks to get them shut down and the renters took it to the level of being fined. They subsequently moved.

Good riddance.

I live in Ontario, Canada. The only rules in my town state that you may not put signs on stop signs and traffic light posts; I didn't. Also, I can have as many sales as I want, no limit, no permit required.

Paleo_joe

Mar 5, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Garage sale signs aren't a problem where I live, but signs for chimney cleaning, concealed carry permit training, lawn mowing, and other small businesses are. It's in the county, so there's no law or regulation, other than maybe littering. They'll use a ladder to go so high up a power pole or tree that you can't reach the sign from the ground, or they'll stick a sign in the right of way every mile down the highway. This is by a beautiful state park, but they don't care.

I've torn or stomped down many of those signs, with pleasure. I'll stand on the bumper of my car to reach the high ones.

billjustbill

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab SN/XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I put up several garage sale signs yesterday night and it looks like my competion or a neighbor that doesn't like garage sales went around and ripped them all off. I really hate idiots like that! Not only are they p@ssing me off, they're wasting my time and my money and literally attacking my source of income!!! I swear if I caught the person doing it I would give them HELL!

Anybody have a similar experience?

I have to admit it, in my life, I've torn down ONE SIGN.... I went to the trouble to build a wooden "Plus".... I needed to "use" a stop sign to help hold-up a foam board sign so I could use clear packing tape and tape the wooden frame and sign 3 feet above the weeds at a stop sign.

The garage sale went well and Sunday morning I drove my list of where I put my signs. The farthest sign, was the problem. I pulled over to the side of the road, put on my blinkers, and took my razor case cutting knife I used to quickly slit the clear tape and pull away all the tape, wood frame and sign in short order. It's quick, clean, and no trash or tape pieces are left behind...

I walked up to my sign and saw something that made my blood just boil..... Some Jackass had taken THEIR garage sign and used my framework and duct taped theirs over my sign....... When the traffic was cleared and gone, the sign owners would find their sign, with crisscrossing tire tracks, laying in the middle of the four way intersection....

Vigilante Bill

Last edited:

Rodbuster209

Oct 26, 2010
Northern California
Detector(s) used
MineLab SE, Excaliber 1000, Sovereign, White's SpectrumXLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have to admit it, in my life, I've torn down ONE SIGN.... I went to the trouble to build a wooden "Plus".... I needed to "use" a stop sign to help hold-up a foam board sign so I could use clear packing tape and tape the wooden frame and sign 3 feet above the weeds at a stop sign.

The garage sale went well and Sunday morning I drove my list of where I put my signs. The farthest sign, was the problem. I pulled over to the side of the road, put on my blinkers, and took my razor case cutting knife I used to quickly slit the clear tape and pull away all the tape, wood frame and sign in short order. It's quick, clean, and no trash or tape pieces are left behind...

I walked up to my sign and saw something that made my blood just boil..... Some Jackass had taken THEIR garage sign and used my framework and duct taped theirs over my sign....... When the traffic was cleared and gone, the sign owners would find their sign, with crisscrossing tire tracks, laying in the middle of the four way intersection....

Vigilante Bill
Bill you should have went straight to their house and charged them a usage fee for doing that to your sign!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions