Confederate Shell? 1897 V Nickle and other goodies

Ihatepoisonivy

Feb 22, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1423342333.578837.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1423342360.092871.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1423342386.675205.jpg

Upvote 10

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Answering by request... it is definitely a Confederate Read Long-Model shell. Although it resembles a yankee Parrott shell, its iron body and the copper "ring sabot" on its base were designed by Dr. John B. Read of Tuscaloosa Alabama. Also, your find has a Confederate copper fuzeplug in its nose.

Although your Read shell's copper ring-sabot is bent at one spot, the rest of it looks unfired. Please post some additional closeup photos of the sabot so I can tell for sure whether it is unfired or not. If it is an unfired one, there might be more of them in the ground nearby.

Since you are digging in the Marietta/Atlanta GA area, call Carl Sitherwood, a close friend of mine who is a long-experienced Professional at safely removing the powder-charge from civil war era artillery shells. Tell him I sent you. You can contact him as CarlS at bulletandshell.com.

Last edited:

CSA2K

Jan 24, 2012
Winchester VA
Detector(s) used
This Minelab and this Pro-Pointer.. and that's all I need
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice shell man

OP
OP
Ihatepoisonivy

Ihatepoisonivy

Feb 22, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank You very much for that info Mr Cannonballguy! I will post some more pics of the base, in addition to details, this shell was dug at a depth of 14 inches. I didn't see any signs of trenches except up near a hill.

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Answering by request... it is definitely a Confederate Read Long-Model shell. Although it resembles a yankee Parrott shell, its iron body and the copper "ring sabot" on its base were designed by Dr. John B. Read of Tuscaloosa Alabama. Also, your find has a Confederate copper fuzeplug in its nose.

Although your Read shell's copper ring-sabot is bent at one spot, the rest of it looks unfired. Please post some additional closeup photos of the sabot so I can tell for sure whether it is unfired or not. If it is an unfired one, there might be more of them in the ground nearby.

Since you are digging in the Marietta/Atlanta GA area, call Carl Sitherwood, a close friend of mine who is a long-experienced Professionally at safely remove the powder-charge from civil war era artillery shells. Tell him I sent you. You can contact him as CarlS at bulletandshell.com.
There he is!where have you been hiding Pete?Good to see you around,we have been needing some profession help around here :).

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread