Confederate Trench Find - Ornate Iron

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro (2), Makro Racer 2, Garrett AT Pinpointer (2)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I found these relics at a Treasure Depot Hunt in November, but didn't want to post anything until I'd cleaned and preserved the iron piece. This hunt was in and around the Confederate trenches near Petersburg, VA. The ornate iron piece was found in the bottom of a trench. I'm thinking maybe part of a stove leg, but I'm not sure. It's difficult to see in these photos, but there's a floral pattern on the side view. Any thoughts? I also found a shell frag, case shot, tent grommet, buck and ball and some minie's. Also, thought I'd include some other iron pieces that got cleaned and preserved today. The stirrup is from a colonial site here in the Shenandoah Valley, the two mule shoes are from a Union camp site near Culpeper, VA (on Just Go Detecting Hunt). I cleaned all the iron by soaking in apple cider vinegar and then using a wire brush and Dremel. After that, I rubbed in some 3 in 1 oil, let that set for a while, then sprayed on 2 coats of satin poly. Thanks for taking a look.

ornate iron5.jpgornate iron3.jpgornate iron2.jpgornate iron1.jpg
jgd11_16.jpgstirrup mule shoes.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 13
Great Job VR.
The Piece is very Cool imo & it & the Shoes Turned out nice.
Also was wondering if a 3 in 1 or WD-40 coat 'Before Ploy' would cause any problems.

FWIW.. My Iron is Piling Up.
Many pieces need to be Cooked or Vinegar Soaked , just enough for me to get a better Idea of what they are.
Good Post.

Nice relic hunt and preservation, congratulations! :occasion14:

Great Job VR.
The Piece is very Cool imo & it & the Shoes Turned out nice.
Also was wondering if a 3 in 1 or WD-40 coat 'Before Ploy' would cause any problems.

FWIW.. My Iron is Piling Up.
Many pieces need to be Cooked or Vinegar Soaked , just enough for me to get a better Idea of what they are.
Good Post.

I've been using the 3 in 1 oil, followed by the poly for several years now and it's working well. I know everything you read and hear is that this would normally cause an adhesion problem with the poly, but that's not been my experience. I use a toothbrush to apply the oil, wipe off the excess and let it set for a day before I apply the poly. Works very well for me and I've not had a problem with rust returning as I've had with other methods I've used before.

You did a very good job with the iron. :icon_thumleft:

Thanks all!

Over 10 years ago I did the WD-40 , then Poly on some Grape Shot , Ax Heads , & a few other relics , They turned out Good
I have not seen these pieces in 7 or so years but I bet they are doing well. (I need a relic Room,lol).

I was told this technique by an old time Digger.
I think letting the Oil dry & soak in for a few days is most important.

Nice hunts, great finds, and really nice preservation! :icon_thumright:

Yep, stove leg. I gave up on this one awhile back, but will have to give your method a try. Yours turned out very nice! Congrats

Attachments

• 1487339627393.jpg
    1487339627393.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 53
Yep, stove leg. I gave up on this one awhile back, but will have to give your method a try. Yours turned out very nice! Congrats

Oh yes, definitely. Brush it good prior to the ACV bath, getting off as much "loose" rust as possible. Then, just submerse it in ACV and forget about it for a few days. I've left pieces in for days and even weeks, depending on how much rust is on the object. Check it every few days, use a wire brush on it, then put it back in the ACV. That piece should turn out great!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back