Cool find: 1993 W Madison half dollar

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
W is from west point mint in case you did not know, I also believe it is 90% silver, nice find!

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
It is indeed 90% silver. One of the few modern commemorative half dollars that are silver. I picked up a roll back when silver was under $10/oz. By the way, they are usually referred to as the Bill of Rights half dollar as that is what they are commemorating. Madison is credited as being the author.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i would take that over a 90% silver kennedy proof half dollar any way too

apush

Bronze Member
Dec 21, 2009
U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
ACE 250; Lone Star
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice find(s), indeed. Two in one box, both the same coin. This is the type of post I love to read. I have not seen any commemorative coins pop out of boxes in a long, long time.

Congrats,
apush

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
By the way, they are usually referred to as the Bill of Rights half dollar as that is what they are commemorating.

PCGS calls it "Madison"

Attachments

• 1993_MADISON_PR.H.jpg
    1993_MADISON_PR.H.jpg
    381.1 KB · Views: 110

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Sag- PCGS is referring to the obverse of the coin where the date is. But think about it. The commemoration isn't for Madison. It is for the Bill of Rights which Madison authored. Look the coin up in the RedBook. It refers to the coin as the Bill of Rights. Look up the coin in other Numismatic publications and it will be referred to as the Bill of Rights. You can find dozens of examples of TPG labels that reference the coin incorrectly. They are lazy. Heck, most coin collectors are lazy. Perfect example is our cent. Repeat it a billion times calling it a penny doesn't make it any more correct. It's always been a cent.

ckrakowski

May 7, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Heck, most coin collectors are lazy. Perfect example is our cent. Repeat it a billion times calling it a penny doesn't make it any more correct. It's always been a cent.

exactly i agree i have always and will always call it a cent but if you want a penny got to endland i know they have some. lol.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread