Copena and Copena Related

CreekSide

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2023
Here are a few Iā€™ve found over the years. The smaller ones are called Candy Creek points but Iā€™ve heard collectors call them
Copena Stingers. The Candy Creek points are listed as a Woodland point but resent studies say the are related to the Dalton. Some Copena types I find have a stack on one side and are unifaced so to speak on the other side but show flaking. Some are thin but very well made like the one in hand.
Iā€™m pretty sure most if not all pictured are Copena related. But Iā€™ve been wrong before. Hope you enjoy the post.
NW Georgia mostly creek finds.

Attachments

• IMG_2254.jpeg
    IMG_2254.jpeg
    182.9 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_2253.jpeg
    IMG_2253.jpeg
    145.2 KB · Views: 55
Upvote 10
OP
OP
CreekSide

CreekSide

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2023
The reason Iā€™m typing most as Copena if you notice most of them have a broken ear on the right side. Must of been the way they were hafted in the handle. Itā€™s amazing what you notice when you are waiting for a good hard rain to come to wash the leaves away šŸ˜ƒ

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting about the ear does make one wonder. Woodland or dalton are on opposite ends of the spectrum I wonder where the debate will settle.

OP
OP
CreekSide

CreekSide

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2023
Nice group, I really like the top middle one.
Me to. Iā€™m thinking about removing some of the stain on it but Iā€™m afraid it will come out ugly. Itā€™s a 50/50 chance. Only one Iā€™ve found like it ever. I found it in a washout where some coyotes were trying to dig up a gopher. Idk if they ever got the gopher or not.

OP
OP
CreekSide

CreekSide

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2023
Interesting about the ear does make one wonder. Woodland or dalton are on opposite ends of the spectrum I wonder where the debate will settle.
They all are ground even the Candy Creek points. Iā€™m not an expert archaeologist so itā€™s just a thought but I feel that the Copena Culture is probably something in between Dalton and Early Archaic but they just havenā€™t realized it. Maybe one day

OP
OP
CreekSide

CreekSide

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2023
The one with the white stripe is really cool!
I think itā€™s in my top 3 favorite colors.
Eastern Dalton or Candy Creek depending on which site you look at. I have another stemmed point with the stripes going side to side also a small point.
Itā€™s made from a Knox Chert variant.

Attachments

• IMG_2263.jpeg
    IMG_2263.jpeg
    151 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_2262.jpeg
    IMG_2262.jpeg
    140.6 KB · Views: 13

oldmxrat

Gold Member
Oct 25, 2020
Reno Nevada summers, Las Vegas winters
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
šŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 400, Nokta Simplex+, Nokta Legend, Nokta Accupoint
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think itā€™s in my top 3 favorite colors.
Eastern Dalton or Candy Creek depending on which site you look at. I have another stemmed point with the stripes going side to side also a small point.
Itā€™s made from a Knox Chert variant.
Oooh, that's a sweet point! Thanks for the pics.

OP
OP
CreekSide

CreekSide

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2023
Just so everyone new to looking they just arenā€™t laying around anymore. I still find some but as far as the really nice ones if Iā€™m lucky I can find one nice point a year. Just have to know where to look and always good to have permission. Thanks for the replies and likes.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread