Couple rocks that have me curious....just rocks I suppose???

archer66

May 3, 2009
Northeast Missouri
Found these two in creeks at the family place in Pike County, Missouri. Don't find much of this type of material so when I do I look at it pretty hard. Anyway...neither of these is what I'd call any kind of finished form but are they more than just eroded or broke to the shapes they're in?

The larger one has a depression worn in it...much smoother than the rest of the stone with apparent "rub" lines in it where it was abraded by something.

The smaller one FEELS like a little tool and has the appearance of having been shaped but is of the same rough texture all over except where the large end was broken and where the small end appears to be worn. It is NOT polished like the bit on a celt or axe. Makes me wonder if it was used knap flint or grind something?

I'm perfectly fine with being told these are just plain ole rocks.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    562.4 KB · Views: 114
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    388.8 KB · Views: 113
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    353.3 KB · Views: 113
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    537.1 KB · Views: 112
Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
archer66

archer66

May 3, 2009
Northeast Missouri
Second rock:

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    564.4 KB · Views: 117
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    624.8 KB · Views: 105
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    323.3 KB · Views: 113
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    323.6 KB · Views: 105

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Appear to be just rocks, formed over time by glacial activity and water erosion.

OP
OP
archer66

archer66

May 3, 2009
Northeast Missouri
Thanks guys.....that was my impression as well, especially of the larger one. The small one fits the hand perfectly to be used to press, jab, grind at something but figured it was just me MAKING it fit and seem useful more than it having ever been utilized. Figured I could post em here to make sure I was thinking right....there's a lot out there I haven't seen so worth asking.

Thanks again for looking.

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
remember....purpose purpose purpose....what would if have been used for and if so...where is the wear pattern....

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
Thanks guys.....that was my impression as well, especially of the larger one. The small one fits the hand perfectly to be used to press, jab, grind at something but figured it was just me MAKING it fit and seem useful more than it having ever been utilized. Figured I could post em here to make sure I was thinking right....there's a lot out there I haven't seen so worth asking.

Thanks again for looking.

Our hands are really amazing creations, they well fit very nicely around many, many, different forms.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread