Cruel and Unusual Punishment...

CTRollHunter

Mar 25, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found these in a teller's tray yesterday!!!!!!!!! I thought for sure she would say she was keeping them, but, instead I got them for $2!

20160222_182201.jpg

20160222_182212.jpg

My second and third SILVER dollars CRHing. I was grinning from ear to ear.

For about 10 seconds. Both are fakes. Look especially at the reeding on the right side of the Morgan. It's in straight lines!

I wasn't too upset, however. Earlier in the day I found eighteen 90% and forty 40% halves plus six silver dimes. Almost 13 ounces in one day.

Plus two fake silver dollars *sigh*.

The coin gods giveth and the coin gods taketh away...I am going to sacrifice another fatted bull for the coin gods tonight...

Upvote 0

mxh5891

Feb 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It just looks like PMD to me. But I have no experience spotting fakes. What makes the peace dollar a fake?

OP
OP
C

CTRollHunter

Mar 25, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It just looks like PMD to me. But I have no experience spotting fakes. What makes the peace dollar a fake?

The ring test (the sound it makes when you drop it) is a dead giveaway. Also the bubbling on the surface of the Morgan. And the color in person is wrong. More steel grey than silver. If I really wanted to check I would measure and weigh them both also.

ThePt78Gamer

Apr 28, 2014
Maine
Primary Interest:
Other
I disagree enamel. It probly isn't worth the gas to return these two fake silver dollars, and bringing KNOWINGLY fake money into the bank just sounds like it would be more trouble than what $2 he may or may not get back. Plus, this may lead to them no longer accepting these large dollars anymore due to fear of them being fake, which in turn would make it impossible to ever find a silver dollar at this bank again. (You never know when a real one could come in... it happens....)

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think they're fake, the bubbling on the surface is due to heat/fire damage and the unusual color is from polishing. Looking at the bag marks on both, it seems they were properly circulated. Normally, fakes don't have big glaring problems about them (since they'd be worth less, who buys bad fakes?). Check with a magnet first, then weight, or take to a pawn shop. A pawn shop is better at spotting fakes than a coin shop in my opinion

HH
-GC

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think they are fake. I would also do the magnet test. Fake or real it is still a good score day on the other silver. And I happen to collect faked dollars......

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I wouldn't be worried about returning fake coins back to a teller I got them from. Besides, saying a bank won't take them in anymore, how often are they seen anyway? Also distance to the bank doesn't matter if it's not out of the way. I would still test them, but the Morgan definitely doesn't look right to me and the Peace looks casted.

LooseChange

Sep 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
... the Peace looks casted.

Normally I wouldn't mention it, but for as many times as we've heard Correct term is "doubled", not "double" . . .

I can't help but say . . .

Correct term is "cast" not "casted".

LooseChange

Sep 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jeez...a spelling hand slap...how inappropriate...

This one is purely in jest. Enamel7 busts balls in the CRH forum over the mistaken use of "double die" in place of "doubled die" on a regular basis. I'm just returning the favor - entirely in fun.

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Weigh them, then take to your LCS. My money is on them being real. I don't see anyone faking a 1922 Peace dollar, nor an 1884 Morgan.

citystacker

Aug 15, 2013
I've been dealt a bad hand with fake 22 peace dollars before paying $15 each, then finding out when I got home and weighed them they were fake. They were probably made in China-looked UNC-but back of them looked "off"-the strike didn't look real clear for the condition-motto, denomination, feathers, etc. So it does happen!

starkizzle

Mar 9, 2014
Maine
Detector(s) used
soon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been there too... trust me, people will fake anything

LooseChange

Sep 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:

maine_Jim

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2008
Detector(s) used
Ace 350
I would take them to a gold & silver dealer if they pass the magnet test and you are driving by one. If they think they are real they probably are. If fake then you paid a fair price for them to have a couple examples of fake coins. I have a stack of Chinese coins that came with a collection I purchased. They all had the same look and stick to the magnet. The rest of the collection was fine and the seller even said he thought they were fake so he tossed them in. I bought some fake California gold coins once from a pawn shop. I knew they were fake so I only paid a couple bucks for them. They were even in some 2X2 flips with $85 prices written on them! The pawn shop guy knew they were fake but didn't usually deal in coins so I don't know if he got taken.

Maine_Jim

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread