CTX for underwater hunting

beerguy

Bronze Member
May 6, 2004
Camano Island, WA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030,
Many more on a rotating basis.
Park Ranger and Pack Mule pouches by Freeloader!
Hellow all.

I have seen a few posts where the CTX3030 has given some users trouble with water intrusion.

A few folks that have used it have chimed in saying that there is no problem.

My XLT is starting to show it's age, so I am wanting to know the consensus about the waterproofing on the CTX.

Is it an all around machine that I can use in saltwater/freshwater when the need arises?

Or will I have problems and wish I got an eTrac AND a Excalibur?

Thanks for the opinions!

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I opted for Excal and Etrac while ML had promos going on. No regrets here. If they fix seal issue I may have to try the CTX. I've heard nothing but good things about them other than leaking problem.

OP
OP
B

beerguy

Bronze Member
May 6, 2004
Camano Island, WA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030,
Many more on a rotating basis.
Park Ranger and Pack Mule pouches by Freeloader!
Fletch, Exactly my point. The two can be had for close to have eth CTX goes for, and then you have a machine that can go deep underwater. I also have not heard anyone say that the CTX outperforms the eTrac by a wide margin.

I am going to have to catch Bart when he is in a good mood, amiright?

Petrie502

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2012
Louisville Kentucky
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
UNITED STATES MARINE CORPS (Combat Marine retired)
SEMPER FIDELIS
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have a ctx and a DEUS I water hunt fully submerged atleast twice a week, and mine HAS NEVER leaked

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The MINELAB CTX does not go deeper than the Minelab E-Trac but it is more stable. Much easier to tell if its a good target hiding or iron falsing. Obviously the target trace is AWESOME for seeing multiple targets in the ground at once, waterproof ability, and wireless are very nice to have.

Holler if you have more questions. I have many hours on both machines. I have found more silver with my E-Trac than any machine out there so I am sorta biased! lol

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I opted for Excal and Etrac while ML had promos going on. No regrets here. If they fix seal issue I may have to try the CTX. I've heard nothing but good things about them other than leaking problem.
Ditto....

locater

Aug 13, 2013
Great Lakes State
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Whites GMT, BH Platinum w/ Fisher F5, 11" DD coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey beerguy,

I CANNOT say I am sorry that I purchased the CTX! The target trace is in my opinion, The best new feature the CTX provides. It gives you a visual of a possible good target near junk. I am happy with it's performance.

I am not impressed with the design of the "waterproof" connection between the battery pack and the control box. I think a bigger gasket/channel and screwdown fastener would be better. That being said, it is what it is. At this point, debate on the issue is useless, that's the design and it most likely won't be changed. Any upgrades or things to make it better must be applied the the current design. At this point the silicone grease idea seems to be the only viable option.
If you are interested in getting a CTX, but, think the seal issue could be a deal breaker, I suggest you find someone with a CTX and get a look at the system to make a more informed choice. Obviously, opinions are varied and the final choice must be YOURS!

In retrospect with my knowledge of the system, if I did a lot of detecting in deep surf, I would probably get a dedicated water detector with a proven track record. In my case I do not plan on a lot of deep water activity, When I do, I will take extra precautions to ensure tha seal integrity. (it would be nice to get an opinion from Minelab, as to whether they endorse the use of silicone grease as on option, or if it would void the warranty).

I personally am not someone who changes metal detectors as often as I change my underwear. I am not so addicted to having the latest and greatest new detector every time e new one comes on the market, to get my "fix". It takes all the value of your hardearned finds and puts it in someone elses pocket! I kinda like the idea of keeping that value in my pocket. That is why I got my CTX for longterm use, if it holds together. I still use, and am happy with my BH Platinum. Great value/performance ratio!

The bottom line if you are thinking of a CTX is, you have to ask yourself some serios question and think about your answers. The CTX is a very expensive machine! Do you think it will provide you with more or better finds, given your situation/location? Will it give you a better user experience than your current, or another less expensive?

If you answer yes go for it! I got mine from Bart and found him to be a good man to deal with.

Whatever you decide, enjoy the hobby!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread