Shawn971

Tenderfoot
Jun 6, 2018
Oregon
Detector(s) used
CTX3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I purchased the ctx not long ago and still learning it but I had a frustrating issue. When ever I go over the target it's always.... Always changing ID it never stays on a number even in pin pointing mode. It will bounce from 11.20-12.40 back and forth. I thought at first it was multiple objects under ground but it's not I sweep slow and fast, same results. Any help would be really awesome.

Bigdob

Aug 1, 2016
IL
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What was the target when you dug it?
Mine will bounce ID numbers when it’s a questionable target , if it’s a coin it usually locks in on the ID.
Target Trace and Pin Point sizing are excellent tools to help with target ID.
You have to dig some questionable targets even with all the CTXs tools
Build yourself a test garden with items you search for and the trash you run across .
Then you can get a close idea of IDs , sounds and adjust settings and see how they react.
If you don’t have a copy of Andy S CTX book get one
BT

Last edited:

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
I have been on the CTX for a few years now and it has always been this way, the range bounce is not as much using Coiltek coils, but it is still there. I thought this was normal.

OP
OP
Shawn971

Shawn971

Tenderfoot
Jun 6, 2018
Oregon
Detector(s) used
CTX3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the comments, it ended up being a can that's all I have found with my CTX (for now) but it did jump all over on that, as well as a penny from 2000.. I'll make a test garden for sure and run some tests. Do ID numbers change depending on settings? I just run it in default coin mode, beach, high trash, or silver. I have the Andy book but have no clue what it's talking about its a little difficult to understand some of it but I'm working on it.

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
Mate go to a beach full of German tourist that like to bury their trash. Those Curry Ketchup packets do the same everytime.

Bigdob

Aug 1, 2016
IL
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To me Andy’s book is like the Bible of CTX detecting knowledge. It has all the basics and good discriptions of what each setting does and then get in that test garden and change settings and see how they work for you and effect the signal with each change.
The ID numbers will change with different Target Seperation settings, Low Trash , High Trash, Ground Coin and Ferrious Coin. There are some useful charts out there that have some IDs on different coins with different TS settings, but that’s just someone’s findings and yours maybe a bit different because of soil, EMI moisture in the ground.
Just learn the basics and then change things up, it can be overwhelming and then it just kinda clicks
Some instructional Videos have some good info too
BT

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread