• 20210124_192740.jpg
    20210124_192740.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 138

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That can be a couple things it could be someone's attempt at making a coin ring by hammering the edge all the way around and they gave up before drilling out the center or it could be a dryer coin, one that has been stuck somewhere in the drum spinning around and around until it came loose and the person used it. Both things will make a coin look like that. Here is what a coin consists of copied from internet A clad coin is a coin that has multiple layers of metal in it. Most current U.S. clad coins consist of an inner core of pure copper, with outer layers of a nickel-copper alloy that looks like silver. Examples of this type of clad coin are the U.S. Quarter and Half Dollar. The dime also has a copper center.

Last edited:

EccentricInTexas

Jan 14, 2013
Central Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 11DD coil 11x15DD coil 6DD coil
Schiebel AN-19/2,
Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro,
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pretty slick edge I'd say it was a dryer coin rather being hammered.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That can be a couple things it could be someone's attempt at making a coin ring by hammering the edge all the way around and they gave up before drilling out the center or it could be a dryer coin, one that has been stuck somewhere in the drum spinning around and around until it came loose and the person used it. Both things will make a coin look like that. Here is what a coin consists of copied from internet A clad coin is a coin that has multiple layers of metal in it. Most current U.S. clad coins consist of an inner core of pure copper, with outer layers of a nickel-copper alloy that looks like silver. Examples of this type of clad coin are the U.S. Quarter and Half Dollar. The dime also has a copper center.
Looks like the start of a ring coin, I think I see the hammered blows.

No gold in NY

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2015
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master,
Whites Gold Master GMT, Whites MXSport
High banker/dredge,
DIY hand trommel,
DIY Miller table,
DIY fluidbed gold trap sluice,
Keene A-52 A-52s
2186 Wheaties
Primary Interest:
Other
Why are you only showing us the "heads" side of the coin? No matter though. I think this was machined by a skilled craftsman with the proper equipment.
I have one similar. Only the wheat cent was machined out on one side and a dime was pressed into the recess. I posted it here on TNet quite some time ago. If you would like to see it again, raise your hand. Richard.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is it possible to make a coin ring from a US dime? That would be a pretty small ring I'd think. Gary

Found one once... made from mercury dime... and the band was another mercury dime that was cut out.

Long ago sold it... for get this... 65 bucks... 3 people were after it and kept throwing me an offer that trumped the other.

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is it possible to make a coin ring from a US dime? That would be a pretty small ring I'd think. Gary
I made one for my wife out of a 1953 silver dime as that was her year of birth. But my process is different than that mine keeps the reed edge on the ring. Look at the ring Truth posted I think that is a half dollar compressed down in size I just stretched the dime out. I also make rings that look just like Truth's ring out of quarters and halves and have even done Mexican coin rings.

Last edited:

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The coin Truth posted a pic of is a U.S. Morgan silver dollar ..totally different method than the start on the op's dime . The dime pic is completely
consistent with the "older" method of coin ring making - namely " upsetting " the edge of the coin,
by repeated light hammer blows, until the desired width and diameter are achieved . Finally a drill and jeweler's saw are employed to remove the center. The earliest examples of these seem to come from so called "trench art " , perhaps using a spoon bowl ( back side) as the hammer ( I suppose a table knife handle would work as well ). In the trench scenario I have no idea how the center would be removed - was a jeweler's saw available ?? ideas ??

Noah_D

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2017
Illinois (prev. NE Ohio)
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+, Garrett ACE 300, Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Why are you only showing us the "heads" side of the coin? No matter though. I think this was machined by a skilled craftsman with the proper equipment.
I have one similar. Only the wheat cent was machined out on one side and a dime was pressed into the recess. I posted it here on TNet quite some time ago. If you would like to see it again, raise your hand. Richard.
:hello:

OP
OP
Coinstar magnet

Coinstar magnet

Silver Member
Apr 5, 2020
Beverly Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I placed another dime next to it to show the difference in size and wasn't thinking about what side the coin was on......I raise my hand and would like to see what the finished product looks like. :)

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread