Dalonega water temp

49erjohn

Mar 21, 2007
come on georgia----someone has to know about water temp----what i want to know is how high the water is in the creek around dahlonega----thanks ---JOHN

fishboymike

Jul 21, 2005
Athens, GA
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 pro
I dont think people visit here much, I live in Athens which is quite a bit south of there but we have had a lot of rain so the rivers are up here, so probably up there too. As far as water temp its kind hilly there so its probably cold year round. you might want to take a dry suit with you sorry I couldnt help more. Mike

gametalman52

Jul 27, 2007
Northeast Georgia
Detector(s) used
DFX,XLT, Goldbug
The waters are pretty much normal . I live in Cleveland and the creek in my front yard is doing good. It was 32 this morning. Water is cold yet. Middle of April it will be better. Daytime temps are beginning to be in the high 60's which is gold mining time for me. I like it a little bit cooler that it being hot. Lake Allatoona is almost full and Lake Lanier is up 6 feet. See ya here!!

montgomeryjrm

Nov 28, 2007
Gainesville, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab ex II, Whites eagle II, Whites spectrum xlt
What seems like ages ago I used to dredge for gold. If I remember correctly, I wore a wetsuit year-round. Even in the summer the water seemed like it was freezing. Good luck. :icon_sunny:

49erjohn

Mar 21, 2007
gametalman52 can you suggest any good panning spots in the cleveland area? can you help me with any good metal detecting for gold spots too? thanks JOHN

gametalman52

Jul 27, 2007
Northeast Georgia
Detector(s) used
DFX,XLT, Goldbug
49erJohn. Have lived here for 4 years. I joined the Weekend Goldminers club in Dahlonega. They are on the web also. They have some large properties that have been gold producing for many years. Also belong to the Gold Prospectors association and they have a property here in Cleveland. THE PROBLEM!!! Just about everything here is private property or is in the National Forest. Have had some success at getting permission from land owners in Dahlonega and Cleveland but had to get to know them first. They are very protective here and believe it still has to do with the Yankees! There is a commercial pay site called Gold and Gem grubbin where you can get real dirty in the creek if you want and is on the same creek as the famous Loud Mine just outside of Cleveland. Actually the Loud Mine property is owned by the GPAA. Let me know what you have in mind as far as are you local or going to visit.

Pepper2004

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2007
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT, Whites M6, Vibra-Probe 570, Ace 250, Bounty Hunter 202, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505, Whites MXT, 2 Bullseye11
They are very protective here and believe it still has to do with the Yankees! ::)

montgomeryjrm

Nov 28, 2007
Gainesville, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab ex II, Whites eagle II, Whites spectrum xlt
They know what is on that land, and that is why they are protective of it. Hell I would be too. :tard:

gametalman52

Jul 27, 2007
Northeast Georgia
Detector(s) used
DFX,XLT, Goldbug
Hey! I'm a yankee, been in the south for 25 years though. Don't feel like a yankee. After what the history dictates here I don't blame anyone. But the mind set is different. And actually the reasons we moved here is for the woods, the mountains, and the people, and the quiet, and the slower pace, and the repect, and the ability of the kids to say thank you, and yes sir, and can I help you, and the fact that people actually hold the door open for you, well at least a lot of them. And that these church going people have the values that a lot of our country could use. But if you get to know them and they know that you are one of the good guys everything is fine.

JackInFlorida

Feb 28, 2007
Leesburg, FL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 - Whites PI Pro, Excal 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey gametalman52,

I would like to start going up the Georgia to do some prospecting. I have checked out both WEGM and the GGPA on the web. I sent an e-mail to the ggpa, but no response.

Which do you believe has the better claims for camping, nugget hunting, panning etc? I'd like to go up for a long weekend in May and then for a week or so in August.

Jack

OP
OP
B

bigalathenstn

Mar 20, 2007
JackInFlorida said:
Hey gametalman52,

I would like to start going up the Georgia to do some prospecting. I have checked out both WEGM and the GGPA on the web. I sent an e-mail to the ggpa, but no response.

Which do you believe has the better claims for camping, nugget hunting, panning etc? I'd like to go up for a long weekend in May and then for a week or so in August.

Jack

well gpaa only has Loud Mine and WEGM has 3 properties,im a member of both groups, and i would have to say WEGM is better, lots of campsites,good quite properties, gated properties.Im going down for a week in may to do some dredging, ill let ya know how it goes

gametalman52

Jul 27, 2007
Northeast Georgia
Detector(s) used
DFX,XLT, Goldbug
The Georgia gold prospectors assoc. is closed to new members and has been for as long as I have lived here. I know that alot of the members were born and raised here. The Weekend goldminers is probably your best choice as the properties are tried and true as far as mining goes. If you want to be in the woods and mine I would suggest them. The Gold Prospectors Assoc. of America owns Loud Mine in Cleveland and I believe you can get a guest pass for 1 day to check it out. Also they have outings at Loud mine and members and nonmembers can go to these for a fee. Have done this several times and if you are just learning this is absolutely a great place to get your feet wet. Check out there website and all outings are posted. If you come up let me know and maybe we can get together.

JackInFlorida

Feb 28, 2007
Leesburg, FL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 - Whites PI Pro, Excal 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi gametalman52,

Thanks for the info. That might explain whey the GGPA did not respond.

I have printed the WEGM app and will send it in. They have a get together on the weekend of May 24/25 according to the web site. I will talk to the wife about making a long weekend out of it with the kids. I'll PM you if we are going to go.

Jack

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread