Decided to dig some trash! Reward: 2 gold rings

Skippy SH13

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Last night, I went to a local skate park and detected under the "Prime" tree that all the kids sit under during the day. The hunt only lasted an hour (daylight disappeared!) It was obvious that the area had been worked over by coin hunters, as only 2 dimes (surface finds) were found and 2 pennies. 11 scattered nickels and another 60 aluminum of various types were removed... in the process, I found these two 10K gold beauties. :)

Trash found with rings.JPG Two Gold Rings.JPG

These are gold rings #7 and #8 for the year! Woot!

Skippy

Upvote 24

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

RJ55

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2014
western NC
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congratulations

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very Cool , Was your Hour to Shine.

Is that a Shotgun Shell Head?

If so , Man those are Everywhere, every time I dig one at a School , I'm afraid Ill Catch a Felony Charge. LOL
Good Job

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
S

Skippy SH13

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very Cool , Was your Hour to Shine.

If so , Man those are Everywhere, every time I dig one at a School , I'm afraid Ill Catch a Felony Charge. LOL
Good Job

NOPE! That's a roller bearing from a skateboard with dirt in the hole. I've noted I find shotgun shell heads everywhere, though. They come in in the fill dirt or sod. Around here, lots of people get permission to hunt geese on the sod farms, so it's not uncommon to have spent shells in the grass.

As for a felony charge, I don't think that's possible with a spent shell. :)

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.
Primary Interest:
Other
Congratz on the rings!!!

I seem to find shotgun shells everywhere I hunt. Some of the places I find them blows my mind that they are there, but I guess they could date back before whatever it is I'm searching at the time.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Super nice gold ring score! Congrats! Is the stone a ruby?

Sounds like the previous MDer's were just cherry picking the silver and clad, but left the nickels, aluminum,...and GOLD for you!

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with the previous reply , the place gets "cherry picked" ( a funny term when you think that the pickers are leaving the cherries!)
I'm always happy when I'm in a park in "better" neighborhoods , and I'm getting lot's of nickels/ pulltabs .

OP
OP
S

Skippy SH13

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Super nice gold ring score! Congrats! Is the stone a ruby?

Sounds like the previous MDer's were just cherry picking the silver and clad, but left the nickels, aluminum,...and GOLD for you!

Yep, I think that's totally what happened. Cherry pickers left the cherry's for me!

The ring's stone is orange and heart shaped. I suspect Citrine... It's a class ring. Its not one from a major institution, and there's not a lot to go on. So, I think this one is destined for melt. All I've got is a year and and the High School Initials on the front. There's no high school within 100 miles of here with those initials, though... making it anyone's guess what state or location it came from. I might have been able to find the owner with a name, and there WAS a name on the inside, but it's in that stupid extra-flowery script font and with the wear, it's not even legible even under 20x magnification. I've tried 3-ways to Sunday to read it, and can't make it out. That's probably the worst mistake that owner ever made... If you're going to have a name put on the INSIDE of a ring, do it in the most legible way... I totally would have loved to have a return... The $40 in melt or so that I'd get isn't worth the good feelings of returning it...

Also sadly, it's an UGLY ring in my opinion. That orange stone is gross. I asked my wife if she'd like it, if I buffed out the letters and date on the front (it's a very plain ring otherwise..) and her comment was "NO WAY... I don't even like the fact that I'd be wearing something you found in the dirt, but to wear one that was ugly, too? NO WAY" I just laughed. :)

She's not a big jewelry fan... even though I've bought her plenty, but she only wears the three stone anniversary ring I gave her on our 10th. Even the big 81 diamond ring, she took one look at and say, "no thanks."

The ring find is on Craiglist for a month, on the extremely off chance someone lost it recently but after that, sadly, it'll go into the scrap heap. :(

Skippy

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Skippy SH13

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I agree with the previous reply , the place gets "cherry picked" ( a funny term when you think that the pickers are leaving the cherries!)
I'm always happy when I'm in a park in "better" neighborhoods , and I'm getting lot's of nickels/ pulltabs .

There's nothing special about this neighborhood.. in fact, I don't think we have "better" neighborhoods anywhere around here. LOL

I'd LOVE to see what's in neighborhoods with million dollar homes... That would an interesting tot-lot-tour...

Skippy

davehky

Jan 3, 2007
Mass
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 garrette pro pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
VERY NICE not 1 but 2 GOLDS! You nailed it to an AWESOME hunt! Congrats :notworthy:

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe we should call cherry pit picking nice they leave the real goodies. Lol!

I don't sport much bling either, I don't want to lose it, or worse have some idiot want to take it.
Maybe someone will want to buy it, they say people will buy "anything" on line.

Dr.Tones

Jan 7, 2013
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is how it's done right there! Gotta be diligent !

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
always makes me wonder how many I've missed. fantastic finds, congrats!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread