vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
metal_detector.gif
Send me a "friend request" and let me check it out.

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You know, since the "Friends Request" subject was brought up, I have a question of sorts. Just what is the purpose of a Friends Request, and please understand this is NOT meant in a wrong way, in fact I've received I think five, and I was somewhat flattered by them, I really did not understand the reason for the request, but to decline would have to me at least, seemed rude. There are SO many members on the Forum that have been so helpful with information, as well as so many with great comments and humor that I always read their post. I also feel that most everyone on this Forum is already a friend of sorts, and it's because we all have this same interest/hobby/obsession in common, and we do often interact. I really do not know where to go further with this, or even why. Iron Buzz, I understand that you do not "know" the person, how could you?, me being in Oregon, of course I would not "know" the member who lives say in Michigan, or Texas or Iowa etc. etc., it could be that the person who made the request just likes your comments or way of thinking, I don't know. If that's the reason I guess I would have sent out dozens of Friends Request, but for me, and speaking only for me, it feels awkward or that I'm overstepping? myself somehow, seems like a stupid reason but again, it's just me. Accepting a request does not require you "to do" anything else, you just have a friend I guess. Any of you guys & lady's out there have any thoughts on this friends request topic?, or how, why and when it began?

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Sprailroad, I have always pretty much taken the friend request as you mentioned, as being someone who likes or agrees with posts that you or one has made. I believe that some feel that you and they seem to share a lot of the same opinions, likes, dislikes, etc. pretty much based on what someone has posted. This is just my take on it anyway.

azdirtdigger

Feb 23, 2012
AZ Native. Now travel fulltime across this beautif
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Maybe it's a generational thing. For me a friend, even on a forum, is someone I've interacted with in a positive manner. Whether it was in person or through the forums. Nowadays, with social media, the number of friends or followers you have seems to be a badge of honor. Just a different mind set I guess.

On this site, I have a pending friend request from someone who has been on the forum only days and hasn't made a single post. I also have a request from someone with over 1,000 "FRIENDS". I really don't get either situation.

I haven't rejected the requests for fear of hurting someones feelings (it's not meant to be a snub). So the requests just sit there, cluttering up my notifications.

Not really sure of my point. Guess I will just reject the request from those I've not had interaction with and keep my friends list uncluttered, so I can easily keep track of those I have built a rapport with.

DiamondDan

Apr 21, 2016
Robbinsdale, MN
Detector(s) used
White's M6; Tesoro Compadre; Minelab E-trac; Bounty Hunter QD2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Theres a little box within their profile that you have to click, as well.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wait, you people have friends?! :laughing7:

lookingharder

Feb 27, 2015
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master. Garrett AT Gold, Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sprailroad, I have always pretty much taken the friend request as you mentioned, as being someone who likes or agrees with posts that you or one has made. I believe that some feel that you and they seem to share a lot of the same opinions, likes, dislikes, etc. pretty much based on what someone has posted. This is just my take on it anyway.

I agree with devldog. Friends are members I have PM'ed with and either gotten advise or given advise or just sharing general info. Its a good way to have a small group of members I try and keep up with, mostly because they are much more knowledgeable in certain things than I am. I too am very selective of who I accept friend request from.

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Remember the lil' ditty when we were kids? It wen't something like this: "Nobody likes me......Everybody hates me......Guess I'll go eat worms" Lol

OP
OP
Iron Buzz

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Theres a little box within their profile that you have to click, as well.

Thank you DiamondDan. That took care of it.

Normally, I would accept a request, simply for social reasons, but this was from someone who's name I haven't even seen here before. I'm sure I have never had any interaction with, and it isn't as though I'm a big poster here, so I have no idea why this person decided to make that request.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
it doesn't cost anything either way

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Exactly!

Also ill add , Someone may live in your City or State They could share info/History of their area , it could be done W/O a Friend Request I suppose.
I don't mind Friend requests, & for those who do it's Cool :icon_thumright: ; my feelings won't be hurt.

Heck I speak with more people here than I do in my local life.:icon_scratch:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread