Delta 4000

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pros: Straight forward operation with some nice advanced features (coarse sensitivity/notch/discrimination adjustments, two all metal mode presets which trade recovery vs. hot/mineralized soil sensitivity) and decent default settings. Great price to performance ratio. The stock 8" concentric coil provides decent performance and depth. Good selection of accessory coils available (but their cost eats into the value the stock coil package provides). Decent pinpointing capability, especially with stock concentric coil. Decent recovery speed which helps target selectivity under trashy conditions. VDI goes beyond basic iron, foil, pull tab, nickel, penny, dime, quarter id's
Overall. Great beginner to intermediate coin shooting detector, especially considering the price.

Cons: No manual ground balance adjust or auto tracking features, so performance will suffer if ground conductivity varies significantly from the fixed default setting. Cannot handle wet sand or highly mineralized soil (note that this is NOT the same as ground conductivity). Lack of fine adjustable discrimination, notch, and sensitivity settings. The lack of ground balance capability and precise discrimination/sensitivity adjustments will limit its versatility ( e.g., not a good wet beach detector or deep relic detector and may suffer in high EMI situations such as near power lines). Is not weather resistant (though you can pick up a third party control housing cover) or rugged enough to take repeated abuse under adverse field conditions.

Last edited:
OP
OP
K

Kentucky Digger

Mar 29, 2016
Boyd County, KY
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 150', Fisher F22, Garrett pro pointer 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Pros: Straight forward operation with some nice advanced features (coarse sensitivity/notch/discrimination adjustments, two all metal mode presets which trade recovery vs. hot/mineralized soil sensitivity) and decent default settings. Great price to performance ratio. The stock 8" concentric coil provides decent performance and depth. Good selection of accessory coils available (but their cost eats into the value the stock coil package provides). Decent pinpointing capability, especially with stock concentric coil. Decent recovery speed which helps target selectivity under trashy conditions. VDI goes beyond basic iron, foil, pull tab, nickel, penny, dime, quarter id's
Overall. Great beginner to intermediate coin shooting detector, especially considering the price.

Cons: No manual ground balance adjust or auto tracking features, so performance will suffer if ground conductivity varies significantly from the fixed default setting. Cannot handle wet sand or highly mineralized soil (note that this is NOT the same as ground conductivity). Lack of fine adjustable discrimination, notch, and sensitivity settings. The lack of ground balance capability and precise discrimination/sensitivity adjustments will limit its versatility ( e.g., not a good wet beach detector or deep relic detector and may suffer in high EMI situations such as near power lines). Is not weather resistant (though you can pick up a third party control housing cover) or rugged enough to take repeated abuse under adverse field conditions.

What is notching? I noticed this feature in the details of the detector, but not sure what it is.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Notching allows you to restore a particular target type (e.g., nickel) if you have set discrimination high enough to mask it out. It basically, selectively unmasks discriminated potential targets. Some notching also allows you to mask selected targets vs. discrimination which basically masks everything up to the discrimination setting., I can't recall off the top of my head, but I don't think the 4000 allows you to selectively mask with notching, only unmask a particular target type that would otherwise be discriminated out. [see edit below]. Iron is typically the lowest ID number then foil, then nickel, then pull tabs. Some gold targets might also fall in this range. Lets say you set discriminbation in a really trashy area high enough to filter out everything up to pull tabs. You might be able to still detect nickels by setting a notch to unmask targets that id as a the nickel, but discrimination will still mask out the iron and foil below and pull tabs above the nickel id. It is not foolproof, however, since some large foil or deformed pull tabs may still register as nickels so you run the risk of still digging some trash, but it you don't want to miss any nickels it might be worth it and you might even unmask some types of gold targets. Its all about tradeoffs and managing digging too much trash vs. missing keeper targets. Hope this helps.

Edit: I went back and verified that you can both notch in and notch out the various target types such as nickel, dime, quarter while discriminating out other unwanted target types. Since I primarily use my higher end detectors now, forgot it had that much flexibility.

Last edited:

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's a great detector for the money.

Idaho Digger

Greenie
Feb 25, 2016
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 400
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a Garrett 250 and bought the Delta 4000. A much better machine for not much more $$$. I'm still learning to use it, but after some great tips, I'm getting the hang of it. Like any detector, it takes time to really learn it well. So far, I could not be more pleased with the price/value. It is darn hot for the price, finding small metal at depths the 250 would pass right over. Read the tips from others in my earlier post asking for advise on the 4000. Pin Pointing is right on (allowing for small plugs) and it gives a good indication of the size of the target. Depth indication is usually pretty darn close. Learning what metals read what on the VDI scale and listening to the tone will tell you a lot. I can't really comment on other detectors in the same price range, but from what I've seen of mine so far, it's worth more than I paid for it. Finding dimes and pennies at 6 to 8 inch's is a snap in my soil.
One of the best tips was from Garrett454, he said to do short fast swings over a found target. This gives you a pretty solid number and consistent tone on a good target. It made a huge difference. More times than not, if the number still bounced around with the short, fast swings, it was junk, usually aluminum. I'm still digging most everything to get to know what the machine is telling me. The one iffy target I pass over will be that silver coin or gold ring.

Good Hunting, John

Last edited:

bill_wabo

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2014
Quebec
Detector(s) used
helmet from pomelo
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Tesoro Mojave,
Garrett Carrott
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep, Garrett424 in right on describing the behaviour of the beast. Been using a Delta 4000 since 2014 and love it, nice relic and coin machine.

supertraq

May 8, 2014
Pcola fl
Detector(s) used
Fisher cz6a,,,Fisher cz-20,,,,Teknetics gamma 6000,,"Tek Eurotek pro ,,Fisher gold bug s.e 2.9er,,Tek T2 ltd se,,Tek T2+,,Minelab Vanquish 540 and 340 and a new Nokta Legend and Garret Infinium
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's far better than the apparent ace 150 you have,I say that because the ace 250 has notching and you are unfamiliar with notching.
Ace 250 is not in the same ballpark as the Delta either, my little alpha would smoke the 2 ace 250's I've had.

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's far better than the apparent ace 150 you have,I say that because the ace 250 has notching and you are unfamiliar with notching.
Ace 250 is not in the same ballpark as the Delta either, my little alpha would smoke the 2 ace 250's I've had.

I looked into an Ace 250 before settling on the Delta. I watched a few videos and the tones alone were enough to completely turn me off regardless of how well it may locate targets.
I would go nuts swinging that thing and having to listen to those horrible tones all day. If they could change that alone I'll bet they'd sell way more of them.

I can't be the only one who finds the Garrett 250 tones incredibly annoying.....

sycotoad

Jul 7, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just be aware that there are 3 flavors of Teknetics Delta 4000

Push in Coil Connector + 1/8th headphone jack

Screw in Coil Connector + 1/8th & 1/4" headphone jack

Screw in Coil Connector + 1/4" headphone jack

(hammer in coil connector + 150w loud speaker + cup holders + rear vision mirror) (kidding) ;)

Also I have owned a Fisher F2 (2 in fact) & compared 2 Delta's against them - The Delta was slightly deeper on silver whereas the F2 was slightly deeper on copper - Both exceptional detectors for the money but preferred the weight - balance - and 1 9v of the Delta - I hope this helps ;)

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Both exceptional detectors for the money but preferred the weight - balance - and 1 9v of the Delta - I hope this helps ;)

I LOVE the fact that this machine will run for SO long on a single 9V battery. My Omega is the same setup and I love it on that too. The money you save on batteries is very significant compared to many other detectors. I cut my cost by at more than half when I switched from my BH machines to the Delta. Not only does it take half the number of batteries but they last almost twice as long.
You can't beat that.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread