Denied pennies!

oposs

Jul 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
My humble little BH Tracker IV. Since I dig absolutely everything (electric lines running to my garage included) I don't feel the need to upgrade just yet. Doing my research first.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just went to my usual bank and asked the teller for $50 in pennies. The teller (who I've never seen before in over a year of doing this) looked at me like I was crazy. Then in a rude tone asked me if I had an account there. I told her I sure do. She then threw her hands up and with an extremely mean look on her face said "I have $25". She then told me that they needed the rest of the pennies in the bank for "businesses that come in". Ok. Fine. I get $50 in pennies every other week and have never ever had a problem. The usual tellers are always super sweet to me.

I also asked if they had any half dollars and she told me that they have another customer who always asks for them, so they save any they get for him. Ok. Fine.
Does this happen to any of you guys? I am ok with my $25 in cents... But do they really "not have enough pennies" or was she just being lazy? I was the only customer there and they were just standing around. I'm sorry for the rant!

Upvote 0

db23

Mar 18, 2011
Did you ORDER the $50 in pennies? If not then you have nothing to be upset over, they gave you what they could spare.

Why not provide their other customer with say $500-1000 worth of half dollars every week or so?

OP
OP
oposs

oposs

Jul 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
My humble little BH Tracker IV. Since I dig absolutely everything (electric lines running to my garage included) I don't feel the need to upgrade just yet. Doing my research first.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
db23 said:
Did you ORDER the $50 in pennies? If not then you have nothing to be upset over, they gave you what they could spare.

Why not provide their other customer with say $500-1000 worth of half dollars every week or so?

Thanks for the reply. No, I didn't order them. I didn't know I had to. I've always just asked for them. I'll start ordering them from now on if that's what I'm supposed to do. I guess I was in the wrong. Ya learn something new every day!

SnyderD

Tenderfoot
Jul 23, 2012
Tennessee
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wouldn't worry about it. You didn't know. I don't think the lady had to take a "rude tone" though. Having worked in customer service many years, I know customers are no "picnic", but it seems on a whole the bigger the company the poorer the customers are treated.

Sorry for my rant.

OP
OP
oposs

oposs

Jul 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SnyderD said:
I wouldn't worry about it. You didn't know. I don't think the lady had to take a "rude tone" though. Having worked in customer service many years, I know customers are no "picnic", but it seems on a whole the bigger the company the poorer the customers are treated.

Sorry for my rant.

Thank you for the reply. I'm a nurse and I'm used to dealing with stressed out patients and families who can be a little rude. I completely understand that it's usually out of fear and anxiety. I have never ever been rude back. That's just not my style. Kill 'em with kindness is my motto in all situations. I'm just not sure what I did to this lady! Lol
When I order pennies, where do they come from?
Also, I guess since they're hurting for pennies, I just found a place to dump.

minkybodl

Aug 19, 2011
I get nickels, dimes, and cents without ordering but there has been many times when they said that they only had enough for Business Customers or flat out don't have any. I pick up boxes at the drive through windows of 2 different banks and it is about 70/30 on if they will have enough that they can sell me a box, usually I ask them for nickels or dimes and most of the time they will have one or the other. It was rather surprising for me to learn that banks do only keep so little in coins, it doesn't seem to make any sense but I guess they have a reason for it. While I don't see any way that a robber would ever take coins, they have them locked up tighter than the 100 dollar bills inside of 10 minute time-locked safes that only the Vault Teller is supposed to open.

ihittheskislopes

Jun 26, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They might not have had enough but some tellers are just lazy some of the laziest people Ive seen. I have had them get pissed off that I ask them if any other tellers have half dollars, Ive had them say they dont give boxes out at banks that I know sell boxes.

OP
OP
oposs

oposs

Jul 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
minkybodl said:
I get nickels, dimes, and cents without ordering but there has been many times when they said that they only had enough for Business Customers or flat out don't have any. I pick up boxes at the drive through windows of 2 different banks and it is about 70/30 on if they will have enough that they can sell me a box, usually I ask them for nickels or dimes and most of the time they will have one or the other. It was rather surprising for me to learn that banks do only keep so little in coins, it doesn't seem to make any sense but I guess they have a reason for it. While I don't see any way that a robber would ever take coins, they have them locked up tighter than the 100 dollar bills inside of 10 minute time-locked safes that only the Vault Teller is supposed to open.

Thanks for the reply. I always thought that if you wanted change you go to a bank! I didn't know they ran out. It'd be like McDonald's running out of fries.

OP
OP
oposs

oposs

Jul 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ihittheskislopes said:
They might not have had enough but some tellers are just lazy some of the laziest people Ive seen. I have had them get pissed off that I ask them if any other tellers have half dollars, Ive had them say they dont give boxes out at banks that I know sell boxes.

Thanks for the reply. I know what you mean. Nothing upsets me more than someone being mean for having to do their job! Be lazy at home...not at work.

MrSchulz

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2012
DeWitt, Iowa
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Custom Recovery tools, Nupla Prb4t Soil Probe 60 IN,
Primary Interest:
Other
I never have to order any other than halves. Sometimes they dont have them because they have to have enough for there drawers.

Beans

Bronze Member
May 31, 2008
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since you had not seen her before she may have been sent there to fill in. She did not want to be there and could care less about anyone that came in. It may have been her day off from teaching "How to excel in Bank Customer Relations" and ended up working.

OP
OP
oposs

oposs

Jul 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MrSchulz said:
I never have to order any other than halves. Sometimes they dont have them because they have to have enough for there drawers.

Thank you for the reply. I'm thinking maybe I'll keep doing what I'm doing and order boxes if I run into any more problems.

OP
OP
oposs

oposs

Jul 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beans said:
Since you had not seen her before she may have been sent there to fill in. She did not want to be there and could care less about anyone that came in. It may have been her day off from teaching "How to excel in Bank Customer Relations" and ended up working.

Haha Thanks for the reply. You may be right!

Easy

Banned
Jul 9, 2012
Freakmont
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yea it throws you off when you get a rude teller because most are so darn nice! I had that happen and first couple dimes I got rude back. Most banks I walk into I get 2-3 hellos from the employees. But yea you will get that one teller who is having a bad day, that's most likely what it was. We all have them. Don't go back for a while and then. Try it again and like someone else said it sounds like a dump bank to me.....

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dump bank... they can have all the pennies they want and some, they will be wanting to get rid of them then!

tuleja

Greenie
Jan 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always thought that if you wanted change you go to a bank! I didn't know they ran out. It'd be like McDonald's running out of fries.
Some banks do run out, a lot of them have small change storage facilities in their vault. Most banks were not designed to be holders of the massive amount of coin CRH's go through. They were designed for businesses that look for $5 of pennies, $30 in dimes, etc... You also have to realize there might be more CRH's in your area. I picked up a box of coin at a bank at noon, and the teller had commented that I was the third person to buy a box of coin that day already. I never go to a bank and ask for more than $25 in pennies unless I have put an order in. Always be nice to your vault tellers and get on their good side, it make it easier to set up standing orders weekly or every two weeks, whatever you are looking for.

dustywallen

May 18, 2012
Kingsport, TN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 and 350. Currently AT PRO.
I had this very thing happen to me several months back. Needless to say I was rather frustrated when my CU said no. I wrote them an E-mail explaining why I was upset. The management wrote me back with a statement that pretty much said that their bulk coins were for business accounts only. Keep in mind that we have paid of two vehicle loans with them I would say I do business with them. I understand what she was saying and I wrote her back and just told her I was under the impression that I could get our money however we choose to do it. To me it is no different in cashing a $1500-2000 paycheck and them asking how you want it back. Long story short I went with a big branch bank and they have no problems at all with my penny habit lol.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread