Denomination Predicament

Tylertut

Feb 29, 2012
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The past week I've gone through about 10 boxes of pennies, only working with fifty dollars.
I think today I might drive around and try to find some loose or rolled halves at nearby banks.
However, I will have close to 500 next week, and I can't decide on 2 boxes of dimes and a few boxes of pennies, or a box of halves and the same pennies.

So my question is: lately, which has been producing more.
I don't want to get discouraged with my first silver hunt.

Upvote 0

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
May depend on where you live and how much has been dumped back into the system. My first choice for bulk silver would be cwr or loose halves, second choice would be dimes, good luck.

Dok Holliday

May 2, 2011
Eastern Iowa
Primary Interest:
Other
You won't know until you try, as no one can tell you except someone from your area that uses the same banks...and that person isn't going to like the competition.

conleytheking

Dec 9, 2011
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
Other
I'd go halves myself.
I enjoy doing dimes...but it takes nearly 5 dimes to equal one 90% half.
It's all about fun, so go have some!

n8dagr8345

Oct 25, 2011
Rubber room
Primary Interest:
Other
conleytheking said:
I'd go halves myself.
I enjoy doing dimes...but it takes nearly 5 dimes to equal one 90% half.
It's all about fun, so go have some!
It's clearly all about PROFIT for you.

I'd say dimes have more consistency all over the country. If you are in a good area for halves, I'd get all the halves you could. However, if I had to bank on 500 of something, and it had to produce silver, I'd go with dimes(and you'd get 2 boxes to achieve it)

conleytheking

Dec 9, 2011
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
Other
No not really?
If he is looking for silver we all know halves are the way to go. I save everything including scratched up proofs. I fill up books, and keep anything interesting...
I do dimes all the time...but odds are better on halves
And I have only sold 2 rolls of 40% and that was to repair my car.
So... Havent had much profit yet.

n8dagr8345

Oct 25, 2011
Rubber room
Primary Interest:
Other
conleytheking said:
No not really?
If he is looking for silver we all know halves are the way to go. I save everything including scratched up proofs. I fill up books, and keep anything interesting...
I do dimes all the time...but odds are better on halves
And I have only sold 2 rolls of 40% and that was to repair my car.
So... Havent had much profit yet.
I am just giving you a hard time off the way you worded your post- You talked about the silver value, and just doing it for fun. Hell, i do this for ultimate profit(havent sold any yet, but have tons of it).. and I think I speak for you, and me, and everyone else. PROFIT IS FUN

conleytheking

Dec 9, 2011
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
Other
Yeah you're right, profit is fun!
But I don't do it just for that. I love the thrill...and just anything strange.
I do intend to sell my silver off at some point, for either loan payoff...a vacation, a wedding ring, or more guns...but not for a while. I have an emotional attachment to it.
But yeah sorry if I came off kinda pissy. haha

OP
OP
T

Tylertut

Feb 29, 2012
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I live in a massive farming area with lots of scattered small towns, so if I don't get any silver while turning over my $50 this week on halves, Ill most likely go with dimes.
But considering my location, neither might not do so bad.

cbrtriple8

Aug 11, 2011
Dimes r the way to go, brother. If I only have $500 to play with, I'll try getting $75-$100 worth of CWR dimes from as many bank as possible.( While you at it, ask for loose halves ) Try staying away from sealed dime box when your bank roll is under $1k.
Good luck.

:headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

OP
OP
T

Tylertut

Feb 29, 2012
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
cbrtriple8 said:
Dimes r the way to go, brother. If I only have $500 to play with, I'll try getting $75-$100 worth of CWR dimes from as many bank as possible.( While you at it, ask for loose halves ) Try staying away from sealed dime box when your bank roll is under $1k.
Good luck.

:headbang: :headbang: :headbang:
Noted

As for CWR,
When I walk into a bank should I ask for CWRs or just take what they give me, machine rolled or not?
And what about other tellers, some chime in when asking I know, but what about the ones who don't?

GMan00001

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
why not spread it around..

$50 in pennies
$250 in dimes
and the rest in halves if you can find them or more pennies/dimes if you can't

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I consider dimes and halves more of a savings scheme than profit. Profit i generally associate with turning them around quickly, or with an immediate plan in the future to when silver prices hike. Silver dimes and halves to me are like continually making small deposits into your savings that are sure to increase in the long run. Their lack of easy liquidity (ebay takes effort, pawn shops screw you and melt the coins) makes them a great way for me to save, plus I get a higher %apr generally than a savings account. Also I collect coins, so that is a big part of it, along with the thrill of seeing a silver side, etc. The problem of thinking of searching through dimes and halves as profit is that in the long run I always make less than minimum wage. So, in reality if you only want to make money quick your best bet is to advertise your manual labor.

Pennies are an interesting one on the other hand, I would like to have everyones thoughts here. Pennies I do purely for collecting, since I generally only find copper coins and wheat cents. However, i am always on the lookout for rare wheats, and double die errors, that go for over a hundred bucks a pop. So, that is a much higher return than finding a silver coin. Plus I have no problem selling them, because I don't have an interest in collecting error coins, I am more of an intrinsic metal value type of guy. The only problem is I have been through many boxes of pennies and haven't found anything too valuable.

If you're down south look for the wisconsin error coin, I went through $1000 in quarters in Texas and found one. 10% return on my money immediately since they go for about $100.

OP
OP
T

Tylertut

Feb 29, 2012
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
SilverForBrains said:
I consider dimes and halves more of a savings scheme than profit. Profit i generally associate with turning them around quickly, or with an immediate plan in the future to when silver prices hike. Silver dimes and halves to me are like continually making small deposits into your savings that are sure to increase in the long run. Their lack of easy liquidity (ebay takes effort, pawn shops screw you and melt the coins) makes them a great way for me to save, plus I get a higher %apr generally than a savings account. Also I collect coins, so that is a big part of it, along with the thrill of seeing a silver side, etc. The problem of thinking of searching through dimes and halves as profit is that in the long run I always make less than minimum wage. So, in reality if you only want to make money quick your best bet is to advertise your manual labor.

Pennies are an interesting one on the other hand, I would like to have everyones thoughts here. Pennies I do purely for collecting, since I generally only find copper coins and wheat cents. However, i am always on the lookout for rare wheats, and double die errors, that go for over a hundred bucks a pop. So, that is a much higher return than finding a silver coin. Plus I have no problem selling them, because I don't have an interest in collecting error coins, I am more of an intrinsic metal value type of guy. The only problem is I have been through many boxes of pennies and haven't found anything too valuable.

If you're down south look for the wisconsin error coin, I went through $1000 in quarters in Texas and found one. 10% return on my money immediately since they go for about $100.

I do pennies solely because I collect coins as well. I keep wheats and I have found a couple of error cents that are valued at only $50 or so. I think if I do get a large collection of silver over the next few months Ill add it to my collection unless it exceeds $3,000. In that case, I'm getting a new laptop.

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tylertut said:
The past week I've gone through about 10 boxes of pennies, only working with fifty dollars.
I think today I might drive around and try to find some loose or rolled halves at nearby banks.
However, I will have close to 500 next week, and I can't decide on 2 boxes of dimes and a few boxes of pennies, or a box of halves and the same pennies.

"Which will produce more?" is one of those CRH questions that can't be answered. Every area is different. Different banks on the same street can somewhat consistently produce wildly different results for that matter. There is no way to find out what the banks in your area might produce, or which denomination of coin produces better other than getting out there and finding out for yourself.

Basically as CRHers, we are looking for collectible/silver coins that have somehow found their way back into general circulation. There may be a few floating around out there that have never been out of circulation, but I'm guessing that number is so low its insignificant, with the possible exception of late date wheaties and pre-1960 Jefferson nickels (if you even consider those as collectible). Those coins either get cashed in for face value at banks, or spent for face value in some retail establishment and eventually make it to a bank somewhere. Asking other CRHers what/where those coins will be is a bit like asking what the winning powerball numbers will be. We have no idea, and even if we somehow did, we likely wouldn't share that info. Would you? :wink:

Generally speaking (your results may vary tremendously), if you are the type of CRHer that absolutely hates to "skunk", stick with pennies. I would venture to say that a box of cents is the least likely to be a "skunk" as any denomination out there, but even that can and does happen. If you're looking to amass as much silver as possible, then in my opinion, stick with halves - although you will likely skunk OFTEN. In most areas, dimes will usually produce more consistently than halves, but due to the size difference in the coins themselves, over the long haul you'll likely end up with more silver searching halves than dimes, but will likely have to endure longer periods of finding little to nothing. 20+ skunk boxes of halves in a row is not that uncommon to some CRHers that post on this forum. My first 11 boxes produced exactly 1 40% silver half. Quarters are the hardest denomination, statistically speaking, in which to find silver.

Again, I am speaking in generalities here. You may live in an area into which a MASSIVE CRHer dumps his rejects, in which case your odds of finding much in the denomination(s) that he/she dumps goes way down. Halves may never produce much at "your" banks. Or dimes. Or pennies. Or, you may live in an area where you have very little competition. All denominations may produce above average in your area...or all below average. You might go to a bank today, buy 10 rolls of quarters, and every single quarter will be silver. You might buy 10 rolls of quarters every day for the rest of your life and never find a silver quarter. There are no absolutes or guarantees in this hobby, and there is absolutely no way in which to predict where the good stuff will show up. You just have to get out there and find out for yourself. The only guarantee is that the more volume you search, the better chance you have at finding what you're looking for.

If I had $500 to spend CRHing and I was looking for silver, I would buy every half dollar I could find. If I ran out of banks and had money left over, I would use the remainder of my cash to buy dimes. But, thats me. You may find that you'd rather spend your time searching some other denomination(s).

Best of luck! :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
T

Tylertut

Feb 29, 2012
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
ArkieBassMan said:
Tylertut said:

"Which will produce more?" is one of those CRH questions that can't be answered. Every area is different. Different banks on the same street can somewhat consistently produce wildly different results for that matter. There is no way to find out what the banks in your area might produce, or which denomination of coin produces better other than getting out there and finding out for yourself.

Basically as CRHers, we are looking for collectible/silver coins that have somehow found their way back into general circulation. There may be a few floating around out there that have never been out of circulation, but I'm guessing that number is so low its insignificant, with the possible exception of late date wheaties and pre-1960 Jefferson nickels (if you even consider those as collectible). Those coins either get cashed in for face value at banks, or spent for face value in some retail establishment and eventually make it to a bank somewhere. Asking other CRHers what/where those coins will be is a bit like asking what the winning powerball numbers will be. We have no idea, and even if we somehow did, we likely wouldn't share that info. Would you? :wink:

Generally speaking (your results may vary tremendously), if you are the type of CRHer that absolutely hates to "skunk", stick with pennies. I would venture to say that a box of cents is the least likely to be a "skunk" as any denomination out there, but even that can and does happen. If you're looking to amass as much silver as possible, then in my opinion, stick with halves - although you will likely skunk OFTEN. In most areas, dimes will usually produce more consistently than halves, but due to the size difference in the coins themselves, over the long haul you'll likely end up with more silver searching halves than dimes, but will likely have to endure longer periods of finding little to nothing. 20+ skunk boxes of halves in a row is not that uncommon to some CRHers that post on this forum. My first 11 boxes produced exactly 1 40% silver half. Quarters are the hardest denomination, statistically speaking, in which to find silver.

Again, I am speaking in generalities here. You may live in an area into which a MASSIVE CRHer dumps his rejects, in which case your odds of finding much in the denomination(s) that he/she dumps goes way down. Halves may never produce much at "your" banks. Or dimes. Or pennies. Or, you may live in an area where you have very little competition. All denominations may produce above average in your area...or all below average. You might go to a bank today, buy 10 rolls of quarters, and every single quarter will be silver. You might buy 10 rolls of quarters every day for the rest of your life and never find a silver quarter. There are no absolutes or guarantees in this hobby, and there is absolutely no way in which to predict where the good stuff will show up. You just have to get out there and find out for yourself. The only guarantee is that the more volume you search, the better chance you have at finding what you're looking for.

If I had $500 to spend CRHing and I was looking for silver, I would buy every half dollar I could find. If I ran out of banks and had money left over, I would use the remainder of my cash to buy dimes. But, thats me. You may find that you'd rather spend your time searching some other denomination(s).

Best of luck! :icon_thumleft:

Wow, very insightful, and probably the best answer I've heard so far.
Tho has got to be the nicest forum I've ever posted on.
Thank you?

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Go with dimes, i've been finding more than with the zero skunks in my area. Pennies also give a quick satisfaction to finding "something".

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread