Did well with half dollars, how about dimes?

kiggity

Dec 12, 2012
Well my first box of half dollars was so good, and I can't get anymore until next week, so I got three boxes of dimes. The results were less than spectacular. 1 1946 dime in the very last roll. Kept the complete skunk smell from stinking up the house, but man that was a lot more work than two boxes of halves!

How does everyone search? I found that I can edge search the half dollars (I was afraid I would miss something so I still searched every date) but edge searching the dimes was harder to tell.

Well the honeymoon of last night is over but I'm still hooked. Gotta set some more money aside to get halves because it was much easier/more successful.

Any advise for this newbie is appreciated.

HH
Kiggity

Attachments

• image-645618645.jpg
    image-645618645.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 115
Upvote 0

TimZim

Bronze Member
Aug 3, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like dimes there just to small for me.

AdDicted2Ag

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2012
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well my first box of half dollars was so good, and I can't get anymore until next week, so I got three boxes of dimes. The results were less than spectacular. 1 1946 dime in the very last roll. Kept the complete skunk smell from stinking up the house, but man that was a lot more work than two boxes of halves!

How does everyone search? I found that I can edge search the half dollars (I was afraid I would miss something so I still searched every date) but edge searching the dimes was harder to tell.

Well the honeymoon of last night is over but I'm still hooked. Gotta set some more money aside to get halves because it was much easier/more successful.

Any advise for this newbie is appreciated.

HH
Kiggity

Since you are newbie, you have absolutely no clue how strenuous half dollar searching can be.. Two boxes is nothing and you can't believe that you will consistently pull those averages every week just by searching two boxes... Perhaps you are in an amazing area for hunting, or perhaps you just got beginners luck (More likely) but I would bet that in a few weeks you will not think that searching half dollars is so easy.. More than likely, if you are only searching two boxes a week, you will be dealing with week after week of no silver.. The positive thing about dimes is dumping.. They are easy to get rid of and banks will not be as hesitant to take them.. With that said, you have to be OK with not making humungous finds because they will most likely not come in dime boxes.. Halves are so over-hunted in my area, that dimes are truly the best option these days, but you need to realize that there are guys who are searching 12-14 boxes of halves a week on here that aren't finding anything.. The key is persistence.. If you have the patience, do some halves, but if you get worn out quickly, set up some dime orders every week to help get you through the skunky halves.. Hopefully you have good numbers with both, but it is getting harder and harder these days to find good boxes if you are only searching a small amount, especially with halves..

nube250

Aug 5, 2011
IL
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just got skunked on two boxes myself, that makes 3 weeks in a row with no silver..

I knew the first box was gonna be a skunk when I saw an Obama ender..

ForumRunner_20121219_205209.png

I did find a 2000s and a few post 01's but all and all pretty disapointing.. Hope Christmas makes up for it..

I did buy my niece a Silver eagle, even though shes 2..

OP
OP
kiggity

kiggity

Dec 12, 2012
Addicted,

I definitely don't think I will have these results on a regular basis. In fact, I was hoping to get 2-3 out of the two boxes and would have called that good. I just think the halves are easier to search because they are bigger. My plan is to try to search 4-6 boxes a week to start out since I only have two dump banks that have a free coinstar machine.

Thanks for the advice on the dimes.

HH
Kiggity

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
To make good use of time, I like to sit down with about $1,500 in dimes at a crack. I can gather that much in customer-rolled between 2-3 banks every couple weeks. I can edge-search that amount in a couple hours, re-roll $5 in seconds and dump over the counter and get cash immediately. My average is about 1 silver per $150, Searching dimes is rediculous, they are tiny, for me it's all about the search as profit is almost non-existent.

AdDicted2Ag

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2012
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Addicted,

I definitely don't think I will have these results on a regular basis. In fact, I was hoping to get 2-3 out of the two boxes and would have called that good. I just think the halves are easier to search because they are bigger. My plan is to try to search 4-6 boxes a week to start out since I only have two dump banks that have a free coinstar machine.

Thanks for the advice on the dimes.

HH
Kiggity

4-6 boxes is definitely a decent amount to be searching.. I search 6 boxes of halves a week and 14 boxes of dimes.. My average is normally around 1 per box with dimes, but if you search more boxes you will often see those numbers jump up a couple times every few months.. You probably just had a dirty rimmed dime.. Most silver dimes with stand out the second you pop open the roll..

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Be careful if you are going to try and dump 4-6 boxes a week in coin machines at your bank, that is a lot to be bringing in to only 2 banks a week. Good luck, Maverick.

OP
OP
kiggity

kiggity

Dec 12, 2012
My problem is all of the other banks I have accounts at have coinstar machines, but they charge 8% even if you are a member. How many dump banks would you suggest for 4-6 boxes?

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
kiggity said:
My problem is all of the other banks I have accounts at have coinstar machines, but they charge 8% even if you are a member. How many dump banks would you suggest for 4-6 boxes?

I have built my system up to being able to dump $1000.00 at each branch once a week if it is rerolled, if it is bagged, I can bring in a few thousand at a time. I asked what was acceptable at each branch, I deal with around 8 branches or more to dump at, some are in bordering towns next to mine. Best thing to do is tell them that you deal with a lot of coins and would like to know what works best for them. Good luck, Maverick.

MIhunter

Bronze Member
Jun 29, 2011
Southeastern MI
CRHing involves 3 steps 1) buying coin 2) searching coin then 3) dumping coin. Buy and dumping involves searching out banks that will accomadate your needs, usually for no benefit to them. When in comes to searching dimes, I only edge check. Usually a 90% dime will stick out like a sore thumb. I scan across the open roll looking for silver but also looking for the absence of brown. I probably miss a few but I make up for it in volume, there are only so many hours in a day. I usually search 8-14 boxes of dime a week with an average yield of 1.6 silver dimes per box. or 1-1.5 oz of silver a week. The key is volume, even Timzim average less than one 90% half per box searched.

Last edited:

Silver Stripe

Bronze Member
Jul 8, 2007
USA
For dimes go to Wallmart and get a pair of 2X magnifying glasses- the skinny ones to sit far down your nose so you can look over them most of the time. The ones I have are 3X but I have been noticing after hours of searching I can't see well afterwards- 2X is plenty. HH Mark

toorude89

Jul 2, 2012
East Coast
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, AT Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ive gotten 1 silver out of my last 4 boxes of dimes...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions