Dig Safe!

sodetraveler

Mar 3, 2010
Historic Saratoga CA
808beginnerdigger said:
Can I have your probes! :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7:

No problem! But you'll have to fly to the mainland to pick them up ;D

PS. Don't put them in your carry-on baggage, the TSA has classified them as weapons of mass destruction!

Attachments

• Tools.JPG
    Tools.JPG
    248.3 KB · Views: 457
  • Tools.JPG
    Tools.JPG
    248.3 KB · Views: 438

sodetraveler

Mar 3, 2010
Historic Saratoga CA
808 bottle diggers said:
Thats some nice lookin probes you got. awright :headbang:
808BD

I use the blue ones with the yellow handles.

The one on the left is a straight probe with a 7/16" Hex steel shaft. Super heavy and powerful! I call it the Mini-O'o :headbang:

The one on the right is a hook (although you can't see the hook in the picture). It has a 1/2" steel shaft - Ikaika! I call it the One-Finger Potato Fork :laughing7:

You can have both if you are willing to drop some serious kala at www.tandttools.com

Look for Smart Stick part number TPA36-X7 and Handy Hook part number HH36S

My brother doesn't like them because he says they're too heavy - he uses the probe on the far right. Make sure you're OK with the weight before you order them - the shipping to Hawaii costs almost as much as the tools!!!

Colonel Ken

Dec 7, 2009
Oahu, Hawaii
Advice: It is a good idea to ensure that at least one probe survives the initial cave in. That's all my wife had to dig me out when I got buried alive for 20 minutes. Luckily there were two air holes, one at my feet and one above my head. :sad11:

sodetraveler

Mar 3, 2010
Historic Saratoga CA
Colonel Ken said:
Advice: It is a good idea to ensure that at least one probe survives the initial cave in. That's all my wife had to dig me out when I got buried alive for 20 minutes. Luckily there were two air holes, one at my feet and one above my head. :sad11:

A harrowing story and good advice! :notworthy:

My brother and I have had a couple of close calls ourselves - both at the old Waipahu Mill dump where Uncle Willie met his end......

It was a particularly scary dump to dig because the bottles were all 8 to 11 feet deep - at least where we were digging :o

My brother got pinned under a large collapsed section of roof and all his partner (I wasn't there that time) had to dig him out with was an o'o. While trying to break up the collapsed section my brother's digging partner inadvertantly whacked his foot with the o'o! :violent1:

The moral of this story is: wear boots when you dig!

I came really close to getting squished while we were digging there late at night. The hole was 11 feet deep and pretty seriously undermined on one side. I was working it at arms length with a potato fork when I exposed the bottom of a sode. It had a big W on the base and looked kind of sick. My brother pointed out (correctly) that it was probably an Aiea Soda Works because they had notoriously bad glass.

These bottles are all starred in The Book (i.e. super rare) and fragile. My brother talked me into dropping the potato fork and carefully digging it out with a probe. When I backed out of the undermine and stood up to get the probe from him the whole ceiling collapsed! It burried my tools and my only light leaving me burried up to me knees in total darkness :help:

I just got lucky that time - now I Dig Safe!!!

BTW - in case you're wondering why we would take such chances in the first place, check out these sodes we pulled from a single hole during one of my visits :tongue3:

Attachments

• WaipahuBradSodes.jpg
    WaipahuBradSodes.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 346

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread