Diggin for gold can be a VERY frustrating thing.

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Diggin' for gold can be a VERY frustrating thing.

It's easy to prove that thought, just try. LOL

I went out today and tried the same technique on a different park. I'm not posting the garbage
this time but is was even more than the last time. Didn't find any gold either.

I noticed an obvious thing about this technique too. When you go ahead and dig all the tabs, foil, etc.
It takes away a large chunk of time from one's hunt. Granted, if you hunt just the excellent hits and ignore the
low ones you tend to get more coins. But, it's usually clad and you might even find a piece of bling. It's fun
digging the higher signals and if you don't have a lot of time to hunt, you tend to want to get the best bang for your
buck.

Still, it is a very good way to learn your machine and the rewards might actually be better, in the long run.

With ALL that said, here's the results of today's 4 hours:

2014 (893).jpg
2014 (894).jpg
2014 (895).jpg

Wheat toast.

2014 (899).jpg

When I first saw this I thought well, something interesting!

2014 (898).jpg

Oh well. :dontknow:

2014 (897).jpg

Can't tell from the back, (non-magnetic), but
this item summed up the technique best for me.

2014 (896).jpg

Blingie & Fishy appear to approve. ;)

Thanks for peeking!

Upvote 7

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know your pain! I have a drought-stricken lake I hunt. Every time I go I start out digging all non-ferrous targets, but I can only do that for about an hour before I give up and just go after the high tones. I did get to score a silver on ring an both of my last hunts. The really frustrating thing is that I know there is a lot more (ok, SOME more) gold hiding out there but there are thousands on tabs in the way.

OP
OP
WHADIFIND

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know your pain! I have a drought-stricken lake I hunt. Every time I go I start out digging all non-ferrous targets, but I can only do that for about an hour before I give up and just go after the high tones. I did get to score a silver on ring an both of my last hunts. The really frustrating thing is that I know there is a lot more (ok, SOME more) gold hiding out there but there are thousands on tabs in the way.

Yeah, you just have to set your mind before starting and then stay determined. Not for every hunt nor hunter. :)

BladeRunner2019

Dec 22, 2013
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Man I feel your pain. I can't tell you how many times I have gone to a park/school with the intention of digging low tones and before long I give up and go back to clad/silver signals. I finally did find a gold ring but it was in a yard of all places.

There is a park near me that I have been to a couple times. I feel confident there is probably gold there because it's obvious nobody has cleaned out all the freakin pop tabs.

digndeep

Jul 28, 2014
cambridge,md
Detector(s) used
Xp ORX, whites v3, whites mxt
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
nice finds!,if I ever find gold its gonna have to be next to a wheat penny.lol,jus call me lazy!

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I wonder if you reacted like I did when I found my no cash token like yours! Cjon and I were hunting the old property where I found a Civil War token and DB 1/2 cent on a previous hunt and I turned the token up, brushed the dirt off, and saw the eagle first, of course. I thought I had another really old coin until I turned it over. It was even funnier seeing Chris's face when I walked over and handed it to him, lol. Was almost as funny as the very first hunt he and I had together, and he thought he found an item with " CSA " on it. I am going to have to make it a point and bring this up once per year, lol!

g-olden years

Silver Member
Nov 10, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Always enjoy your fun & informative posts! :icon_thumright:

My 2 hunky gold rings & my best silver jewelry were each found amid lots of junk signals & after a lot of muttering by me, lol.:laughing7: Andi

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You need to upgrade to a XP Deus...it will guide you straight through the trash, to GOLD.:laughing7:

SS

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good work, keep on digging. Ha, now you have gold fever, same thing happen to me.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting hunt you had and still scored a trinket for them, nice!
Knowledge is power.
That is exactly the problem not enough time, complaining body parts and a ton of trash to dig thru! We all try to hedge that by hunting where we think the goodies may be. Slowing down and better target separation helps too.
I know in the large sports field I hunt there is gold of some type, everything else is there! I just have to find it.
Next trip out I may try dowsing rods...you never know! :laughing7:

OP
OP
WHADIFIND

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wonder if you reacted like I did when I found my no cash token like yours!

I'm afraid I'm either too experienced or maybe just been burned too many times to react much. I was more surprised by the signal. It showed up as a clear nickle hit, around 53. But, when I dug it up it was almost the size of a quarter! First thing I said was, token. :)

OP
OP
WHADIFIND

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting hunt you had and still scored a trinket for them, nice!
Knowledge is power.
That is exactly the problem not enough time, complaining body parts and a ton of trash to dig thru! We all try to hedge that by hunting where we think the goodies may be. Slowing down and better target separation helps too.
I know in the large sports field I hunt there is gold of some type, everything else is there! I just have to find it.
Next trip out I may try dowsing rods...you never know! :laughing7:

Gotta be a bit careful about that "I know, there's gold there! Somewhere!!" You may be right but there are many old '49ers prospectors' bones that have never been found because of the same thought. ;)

It may well be there. But, trying to MAKE it be there by stubbornness alone, seldom works. ;)

mikeraydj

Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Deteknix X-Pointer, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have been pretty lucky in my first year hunting. I found 2 gold rings. Both rang up as nickel signals. Spent the rest of the summer trying to find more. But they eluded me. It has amazed me how many pull tabs people rip off their cans. I hated them then. But as I sit here surrounded by snow and 2 below zero, I miss not being able to wade through them in search of treasure. My poor F5 sits in my closet patiently waiting for spring.

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
I saw that gold bracelet you found in your other thread...excellent find!
Congratz and I know how much work you had to put in to find it.

I don't think of gold hunting as so much frustrating, mostly I just try to wrap my head around the idea that digging trash is what you have to do because of masking problems and the fact that gold is usually disguised as trash most of the time.
Disguised as trash and hiding among trash...sometimes it ain't easy to find that stuff.

Nowadays I never dig all trash signals in my parks, I usually just zero in on and dig the solid non jumpy ones because all my 31 gold targets came in that way and I know my detectors and how they behave when swinging over that metal so well.
Even though I can avoid digging about 80-85% of the trash out there I still end up digging a lot because that other 15-20% of solid trash I still dig can add up.
I don't have the time or patience to dig every signal, but by learning my detectors well and noticing how gold behaves in the wild I still am wildly successful at finding it hunting and digging mostly only the more solid signals I come across.

At certain sites I usually do dig all targets because of severe masking.
I might not finish these sites up completely an just one hunt, I go back many times, hit these sites from different angles till I am sure I have dug most of the good stuff along with the trash but even then you never know if you missed something.

On 2 hunts at different parks I set my mind to dig every signal looking for gold.
These are one of the few types of sites I will hunt this way because I know what could be hiding and on these 2 hunts I was rewarded with not 1 but 2 gold targets on each hunt...the only times this has ever happened to me.
The sites were one of my favorites...basketball courts, and in the case of those the older and trashier they are the more trash I have to dig but the more I like it.

Here are pics of what I found, the gold targets and in both cases I also took pics of the trash I had to dig to accomplish these rare twin gold targets on one hunt feats.
As others have already stated I too feel your pain, but there is one thing that I always believed in since I started in this hobby and always will till I can't do it anymore...
"Those who do the work will also reap the rewards!"

When you have time dig that trash because you never know what is hanging around down there without X Ray vision.
As you learned no matter how much trash you dig up the instant you do find gold all the work instantly and magically becomes worth it.

Attachments

• bbal cort 2 rings and trash.jpg
    bbal cort 2 rings and trash.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 71
  • digging all bball court.jpg
    digging all bball court.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 72
OP
OP
WHADIFIND

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I saw that gold bracelet you found in your other thread...excellent find!
Congratz and I know how much work you had to put in to find it.

I don't think of gold hunting as so much frustrating, mostly I just try to wrap my head around the idea that digging trash is what you have to do because of masking problems and the fact that gold is usually disguised as trash most of the time.
Disguised as trash and hiding among trash...sometimes it ain't easy to find that stuff.

Very well said. I've known the aspect of working to get what you want for a long time now. Trouble is, as one gets older
we tend to get a bit lazier. ;) Also, it's harder getting down and up all those additional times. LOL

Still, my last two hunts were done specifically on two parks that are absolutely known as completely pounded. I just knew
that there were goodies still. I set out to prove it just for my own satisfaction. As I said in the last post, mission accomplished.

What this hunt was about was to learn my machine in a more in depth way. Sure, the VDI might be almost identical between gold and
a pull tab. BUT! And this is an important "but", they do not sound the same.

When I hunted with my Groundhog I got so good with it that I could tell you the metal I was digging before I dug and be right about 90 percent of the
time. That old machine had an analog meter on it but I paid little attention to it's readings. There are subtle differences in the sounds. Just gotta train the ear to hear the differences. Trouble is, when I started back, about 3 years ago I had to learn all over again. The AT-Pro is very different. The one thing I miss the
most is the aspect of it being quiet until it finds something. Makes it a LOT harder to hear those differences.

On the other hand, the computer controlled VDI readings do give an edge. They are a lot more precise on the differences. You just have to pay attention to them AND the slightly different sounds that are made. It is an art! The more I do this and see what's coming out and when and how the sounds/numbers change depending on soils & depth. I'm learning MUCH about this thing called ATP. ;) And, ya know what? The more I learn, the more I am impressed!

It still can't be called the top of any line. But, for my purposes, it will & is doing just fine!

The biggest thing I've learned? You STILL have to get the head over a good target! LOL

Like you said, when one does find gold, everything becomes right with the world again. And why not?
Find a piece that has, oh, say, 250 dollars in melt value. If one has hunted for 5 hours, that's 50 bucks
an hour! HA! I'll take that! LOL

Last edited:
OP
OP
WHADIFIND

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man I feel your pain. .....There is a park near me that I have been to a couple times. I feel confident there is probably gold there because it's obvious nobody has cleaned out all the freakin pop tabs.

I think I'm going to give up metal detecting. Instead, I'm going to invent a magnet that will just go along and pull those aluminum tops right out of the ground. I could sell those machines and be a VERY rich man! To all you guys! ;)

OP
OP
WHADIFIND

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
But as I sit here surrounded by snow and 2 below zero, I miss not being able to wade through them in search of treasure. My poor F5 sits in my closet patiently waiting for spring.

Ah yes, 'tis the season. Or should I say, the lack of one. ;)

Time to do maintenance and research. But, maybe a trip south enough to at least turn it on isn't totally
out of the question. ;)

park pirate

Gold Member
May 16, 2013
City of Rensselaer (upstate NY)
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800-Explorer SE -Sovereign-GT- -Whites 6000 Di pro SL-Specturm XLT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes digging for gold can eat up all your time that's why I dig nickel signals and not pulltabs I know I'm missing some gold buy doing that but time is short for me I have found lots of gold digging nickel signals and my buddy Ed (upstate) found his 1905 2 half dollar gold coin buy digging nickels...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread