Feb 6, 2014
Lowcountry, South Carolina / Richmond, Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Deus XP II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hey guys,

Back from overseas and knee deep in lowcountry pluff mud :laughing7: The coastal site that I targeted was an old ship building location dating from the mid 1700s. Previous hunts have produced a few nice relics, however the site is covered in copper, hand forged, nails. Unlike iron which is easily recognizable, every one of these copper nails rings in on the CTX in the copper coinage/button range and thus must be dug haha. Few more weeks and I may have it cleared out.

20151217_103315_resized.jpg

That being said, persistence was rewarded with a few goodies. Among the digs were a few buckle fragments, musket ball, and flat buttons. The nicest looks as is it was dropped yesterday.

button front.jpg button back.jpg

My favorite recovery had me puzzled until I got it home and cleaned it up. It is made of a heavy copper alloy with much of the silver wash still intact. Given the hooks on the back I'm guessing it is an early leather ornament or saddle boss. I've seen mid 19th century saddle shields posted here before, but I suspect this one is much earlier given the comparables online.

boss front.jpg boss back.jpg

Up for debate is this small whatiz? It is made of brass and about 1.5 inches in length.

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg

Thanks for looking!

20151217_103153_resized.jpg

Upvote 7

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your right on the late 18th C horse harness mount.

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
I too recently had a hunt on an old ship building site.
my take for the day was a pile of copper/ brass nails just like yours!
nice hunt

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Very interesting site. I've found similar leather ornaments at colonial sites but without the silver gilt. Definitely a 1700s find. And I rarely find copper nails or spikes at the land sites I hunt, but they're a given when hunting a shipyard or wharf site as they'd be in big trouble if they used iron nails in their ships.

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
As a landlocked Hunter, I really like the copper spikes/nails. As you said, they may be masking more goodies. Good luck!

OP
OP
Patriot Relics

Patriot Relics

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Deus XP II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very interesting site. I've found similar leather ornaments at colonial sites but without the silver gilt. Definitely a 1700s find. And I rarely find copper nails or spikes at the land sites I hunt, but they're a given when hunting a shipyard or wharf site as they'd be in big trouble if they used iron nails in their ships.

Thanks Bill, the silver wash is much better in person. Crazy how some copper alloys survive and some are destroyed by the salt water.

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good stuff vmi, looks like a promising spot. And hey, I really do like the old copper nails!

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool site your working.
With all the activity that no doubt went on on a site like that there is certainly more to find. We, ZDD, and me found a similar site, but gave it up for now as we moved on after getting a couple dozen each of the copper nails. My thoughts are someone must have lost a coin there, same as your site, a spanish silver, or even a gold could show up.

Good luck.

OP
OP
Patriot Relics

Patriot Relics

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Deus XP II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Cool site your working.
With all the activity that no doubt went on on a site like that there is certainly more to find. We, ZDD, and me found a similar site, but gave it up for now as we moved on after getting a couple dozen each of the copper nails. My thoughts are someone must have lost a coin there, same as your site, a spanish silver, or even a gold could show up.

Good luck.

I had a similar thought, the notion that there may be a silver or gold cob keeps me going back.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread