Southwest Idaho
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030
Minelab E-trac
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I dig iron signals (all of them) while I'm detecting at the Indian War sites I have. Yes, I dig lots of square nails and cans, but occasionally some really good stuff comes out. On my last trip I got a nice fragment from a mountain howitzer cannonball and my favorite, a Sharp's percussion rifle combination tool. The tool has two screwdriver blades and a wrench for removing the nipple. It's pretty rusty so I've included an image showing one in good condition. I believe if I keep digging iron I'm going to find a firearm one of these days.

Attachments

• 20231003_181603.jpg
    20231003_181603.jpg
    591.5 KB · Views: 77
  • FPTA-C241A-4-385x391.jpg
    FPTA-C241A-4-385x391.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 52
Upvote 32

Kona Koma

Bronze Member
Nov 13, 2017
On the Beach
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Quattro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dig iron signals (all of them) while I'm detecting at the Indian War sites I have. Yes, I dig lots of square nails and cans, but occasionally some really good stuff comes out. On my last trip I got a nice fragment from a mountain howitzer cannonball and my favorite, a Sharp's percussion rifle combination tool. The tool has two screwdriver blades and a wrench for removing the nipple. It's pretty rusty so I've included an image showing one in good condition. I believe if I keep digging iron I'm going to find a firearm one of these days.
That’s a nice find.

TORRERO

30+ YEARS, XP DEUS I & II ARE MY GO TO MACHINES
Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Years ago we hunted Napolionic sites in Spain and dug a lot of Riffle parts, but no barrels... someone said that because a gun firing heats the barrel up so much, they rust to dust supper fast and you won't find any barrels... I don't know if that's true, only that we did not find any... That being said, I find it hard to believe that riffle barrels would rust completely out in 200 years... considering the thickness.. we did find a lot of cannonballs and tons of fragments...
Basically meaning that LARGE iron targets were coming up, even though we were not specifically looking for iron.
from those exploding shells..

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice!!! Congrats!!!

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad you could get out. I have detected near Pritchard and Murray Idaho :) I wanted to do the tailing pile out there but was warned i might never be heard or seen again. I understand people take prospecting out there very SERIOUS !!

OP
OP
Mason Jarr

Mason Jarr

Nov 23, 2012
Southwest Idaho
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030
Minelab E-trac
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Glad you could get out. I have detected near Pritchard and Murray Idaho :) I wanted to do the tailing pile out there but was warned i might never be heard or seen again. I understand people take prospecting out there very SERIOUS !!
I've never been up that way so can't say anything about your experience. I've had very good luck gaining access to private property, but have never tried to get on a mining claim. Maybe try tracking down the claim owner and asking if you can go through the tailing pile.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread