mountainman 2

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2006
Extreme Northern NJ
Detector(s) used
whites classic sl,whites surfmaster,garrett ATX,minelab vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, finds are few and far between here also. This time of year I don't do as well. It usually picks up in the summer months.

mxh5891

Feb 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Been searching dimes(customer & fed wrapped) with zero success lately. Still getting non silver canucks, but zero silver. Anyone else run into this?

How many boxes or dollar amount have you searched and been skunked on? I have never gone on a more then 3 box skunk streak on dimes.

46Wheat

Silver Member
May 23, 2014
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac / Equinox 800 / 8.5x11 DD and 5x8 DD coil /
Garrett ProPointer / Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am on a 6 box and $600 CWR dime dry streak here in upstate ny

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My dimes have been horrible for about a year. I dropped volume, so maybe I'm getting recycled finds. But I've lost more money dumping them in the machine than I have found ag

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
My dimes have been horrible for about a year. I dropped volume, so maybe I'm getting recycled finds. But I've lost more money dumping them in the machine than I have found ag

Do you still get dimes in plastic wraps? Out here, it's all paper wrappers so I've pretty much given up searching dimes. Searching machine paper wrapped roll was too long for so little in dimes.

When I used to get plastic wrappers, I used to swap them out at the branches. I'd exchange them for a new box. Since the coins were in clear plastic, the banks never had an issue. We don't have coin counters out here. I weighed all the rolls for accuracy and the banks never had an issue with me swapping.

Wished they'd still use plastic out here.

OP
OP
cdickrun64

cdickrun64

Nov 12, 2009
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
My eyes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is only 1 bank that uses plastic....i used to pull lots of ag from, especially Canadian silver. But that has totally dried up.

mxh5891

Feb 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just sounds like you are on a skunk streak for dimes. No reason to think dimes are all dried up in your area. A 6 box skunk streak is nothing. You have to take the skunks times with the good times.

OP
OP
cdickrun64

cdickrun64

Nov 12, 2009
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
My eyes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used to average over 1 perbox, and usually well in excess of 1. Then zero.

OP
OP
cdickrun64

cdickrun64

Nov 12, 2009
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
My eyes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was at my credit union yesterday, and bought some dimes. Teller asked if i was looking for silver, i said yes. He then told me that their new coin counter rejects silver, and suggested i use it to sort. That would mean no silver going to brinks, but going to the teller line. Crap.

Graciegirl

Jun 5, 2014
Virginia
Primary Interest:
Other
I've never had good luck with dimes. I have found a few but they are hardly worth the effort. I also never find anything interesting in the dime rolls. At least with pennies, nickels and halves I have found some interesting old and foreign coins. Ill do a few boxes this year, but I almost expect to be skunked. Good luck from a former resident of up-state NY.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Dimes were always my favorite. Hundreds of Canadian Ag, Barbers, mercs and oh-so-dull silver rosies.
Dimes were always consistent.
Monkey off my back for two years now. Man how I miss it.
Good luck, keep on keepin on!

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
I was at my credit union yesterday, and bought some dimes. Teller asked if i was looking for silver, i said yes. He then told me that their new coin counter rejects silver, and suggested i use it to sort. That would mean no silver going to brinks, but going to the teller line. Crap.

What about halves in the area? It makes me wonder if all or most new coin sorting machines reject silver. It would be a matter of time when old machines get worn out and replaced with new ones.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread