DIY Pinpointer?

Cajunbear

Apr 12, 2023
Any tinkerers here ever built a pinpointer?
I'm new to the metal detecting hobby but also enjoy building small circuits sometimes and tinkering with electronics.
There's lots of different metal detecting circuits from a few components to larger and more capable circuits.
I have the components to build one using a 555 timer.
I might try it. And try to fit it in a toothbrush holder, just for the fun of it.
Anyone ever built one

RwP

Feb 12, 2020
Midwest
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm new to the metal detecting hobby but also enjoy building small circuits sometimes and tinkering with electronics.
There's lots of different metal detecting circuits from a few components to larger and more capable circuits.
I might try it. And try to fit it in a toothbrush holder, just for the fun of it.
Anyone ever built one
Would be a interesting project, give it a shot

KSDirtfisher77

Jun 26, 2022
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Whites V3I
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Anyone ever built one
I'd sure would enjoy seeing & reading about it. I like to tinker with stuff myself. I say go for it & keep us updated.

OP
OP
C

Cajunbear

Apr 12, 2023

Attachments

• 555-Circuits-Metal-Detector.jpg
    555-Circuits-Metal-Detector.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 18
OP
OP
C

Cajunbear

Apr 12, 2023
Anyone ever built one
I've found circuits using 2 transistors as well. My only worry would be getting the coil right. It would have to be strong enough to get the signal from inside a plastic case.
I might try this..

KSDirtfisher77

Jun 26, 2022
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Whites V3I
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've found circuits using 2 transistors as well. My only worry would be getting the coil right. It would have to be strong enough to get the signal from inside a plastic case.
I might try this..
Could you wrap your coil in the shape of a thimble & use more wraps to accomplish this. Then just encase it kinda like a Garrett carrot.

OP
OP
C

Cajunbear

Apr 12, 2023
I ordered bare wire for the coil and I may have to order an inductance meter to get the values right. I've found how to DIY the meters using Arduino microcontrollers, which I do have. But Idk if I want to build 1 gadget to enable me to build another gadget.
I'll flip a coin.
I'll keep this updated.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread