Do these appear to be man made?

Ozarksrockturner

Oct 15, 2017
Southwest Missouri
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have found at the very least, some interesting rocks in specific shapes.Are they natural or have they been made by man?

IMG_20171118_140433075.jpg IMG_20171111_212820312.jpg IMG_20171118_121810705_HDR.jpg IMG_20171109_093555.jpg IMG_20171101_045801435.jpg IMG_20171111_121627.jpg

Attachments

• 33387.jpeg
    33387.jpeg
    687.6 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_20171129_151446866.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 61
  • IMG_20171019_224905-1.jpg
    IMG_20171019_224905-1.jpg
    1,021.7 KB · Views: 61
Upvote 0

lairmo

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2009
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro/ Fisher M-Scope 1280-X
You look like you are hunting in a lot of creeks or dry branches around here. If you want to find man made/arrowheads/etc, you need to hunt some plowed fields around those creeks. Try to search them after a good plow and a good rain. I'm not saying you can't find stuff in the creek banks but in my opinion around here it's a lot easier to find the man made stuff NEXT to the creeks...Just my 2 cents worth..Happy Hunting.

OP
OP
O

Ozarksrockturner

Oct 15, 2017
Southwest Missouri
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I appreciate your input, everyone is always talking about or looking for arrowheads or weapons, I enjoy the more utilitarian items like tools and the effigy type artifacts, I'd surely pick them up if I saw them lol. Most of what I think are tools or handheld items I have found all fit the hand nicely and most have a place for thumb with edges,sides or ends that are sharp ,curved and smooth, or show signs of percussion. It's some of the effigy pieces that seem to draw a wide range of options. I'm near Branson, where in SW Missouri are you?

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also find higher flat spots near creeks better. Problem around here is they are all paved over.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I appreciate your input, everyone is always talking about or looking for arrowheads or weapons, I enjoy the more utilitarian items like tools and the effigy type artifacts, I'd surely pick them up if I saw them lol. Most of what I think are tools or handheld items I have found all fit the hand nicely and most have a place for thumb with edges,sides or ends that are sharp ,curved and smooth, or show signs of percussion. It's some of the effigy pieces that seem to draw a wide range of options. I'm near Branson, where in SW Missouri are you?

What makes you think you have any effigys and who has told you this? cause all I see is nothing but natural broken rocks that have been polished by water.

Last edited:

coosakid

Nov 3, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Natural..... You need to do some research

Sent from my A571VL using Tapatalk

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Your making the same mistake a lot of new artifact hunters make, don't get caught up in how "it fits in your hand". Every hand side rock will fit your hand if you turn it enough directions. Look for flaking or grinding by man not how it fits a hand.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amen, TH. The human hand is a marvel of engineering by God our Creator. Little wonder countless objects "fit" so well. This can hardly be used as criteria for what qualifies as an artifact.

crj1968

Feb 16, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also find higher flat spots near creeks better.

Yeah, imagine where you might camp...especially to have some visibility of the area.

I have had luck just thinking "If it were me, I'd be up there, where I could see the game trail."

Also something to keep in mind along rivers, is game trails became man trails, which became wagon trails, which became roads.

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Not sure who is telling you those are Effigies or why you would think that? Nothing you have there has been altered by the hand of man. Also, just some friendly advice, saying something "fits your hand" is an immediate buzzkill for most all seasoned collectors. Every rock you pick up will fit your hand if you turn it enough. It's funny how hands are designed that way.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread