Mr. Digger

Nov 25, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, SE pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm mostly a public land woods/cellar hole and old farm field guy. I watch videos on YouTube all the time (Dig That Beep for example) where they are hunting at old public school grounds. I've never done it. Here are my questions for those of you who do this:
  • Do you ask permission from the town or school?
  • Have you ever been kicked out or received complaints?
  • Does a detectorist have as much right to detect a school on town lands as they do town woods and trails?
I'm in MA if that matters. And I know, fill in al your holes, remove the trash etc. etc. etc.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Depends on state law, school grounds are private property owned by the school boards so I would not open any gates.

I have detected school playgrounds with out fences, there I don't use shovel, I recover using, probe and long handle flat head screwdriver.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Times have changed since I first started detecting.
So even 20 yrs ago it wasn't a concern to detect at a school.
Then In FL, 15 yrs ago, I started to run into many schools that mirrored (prison yard looking) with high chainlink fencing and the NO TRESPASSING signage.
Just this past week I drove by a sports field that had a homestead site on it-yup the 4' chainlink as most yards but well posted NO TRESPASSING signage around the fencing.
Even down in Bradenton FL in 2009 a park ran into a sports field-had a karen go all postal on me for detecting and threatened to get me arrested.(she was some official)
So now I love my 8-9000 acres of private permissions, a friendly wave-digging relics and history. Silver and gold is slimmer, but the piece of mind out weighs the modern world of hassles.

For asking permission-best of luck as the first thought that comes to mind of a pencil pusher is shovel holes, broken limbs which leads to a liability suit.
I asked for permission once for parks back in 2008 for Toronto-the response was where I thought it was better not to ask for permission-but beg for forgiveness when it comes to detecting on public lands.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I search school grounds at least one hour before school opens and no less than one hour after school session is over.
I favor the area where spectators sit--so I'm not disturbing their playing field. Underneath bleachers is a favorite.

I go along with "pepperj's" comment: "...I thought it was better not to ask for permission-but beg for forgiveness when it comes to detecting on public lands."
Don in SoCal.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I search school grounds at least one hour before school opens and no less than one hour after school session is over.
I favor the area where spectators sit--so I'm not disturbing their playing field. Underneath bleachers is a favorite.
Don in SoCal.
I have found gold rings under bleachers....

Last edited:

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If there isn’t a sign telling me NO TRESPASSING Or no detecting I would and do all the time here in Texas. I’ve never been ran off or talked to about it either. I just respect it like you should and try and leave no trace I was there

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Never had a problem detecting schools. My simple rules.

1) Obviously, I don't detect during school hours.

2) I try to detect during school vacation periods (summer, Christmas and Spring Break).

3) I love going on a holiday, such as Thanksgiving, Christmas or New Year's Day, since there's no one around (not even the maintenance staff).

4) I never detect during dry weather periods because my plugs might die and ruin the look of the grass.

5) Any kids show up, I leave. Especially if they show up with a parent. I don't need any paranoid parent to report me to the cops.

6) I rarely go on a day when the weather is nice. Cold or rainy days are best. No one stupid enough to be around on those days, except myself!

Good luck! I have found some pretty amazing coins at schools. Large cents, seated dimes, IHC's and so on.

Tony in SC

Gold Member
Jun 8, 2006
Upstate South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites, Minelab, Tesoro, and custom machines
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Schools and church yards were always my favorites. most Schools around here are now fenced .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions