45.6 KB · Views: 138
Upvote 0

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
Cool. I have yet to find anything like that. Does it appear the lines were put there intentionally?

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have you cleaned it yet? It doesnt look natural but what does the rest of the rock look like?

OP
OP
unclemac

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Cool. I have yet to find anything like that. Does it appear the lines were put there intentionally?

yes the lines look etched in and not a crack or part of the stone...notice the shiny surface and the orange under color....

OP
OP
unclemac

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
that's a cool rock, where was it found?

i found it at a coastal village site some time ago and no longer really remember the circumstances. Actually the site was less of a village and more of a gathering trade/barter spot.....

OP
OP
unclemac

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Have you cleaned it yet? It doesnt look natural but what does the rest of the rock look like?

yes it is clean and I have had it for years...sort of ignored. the rest of the rock is just a rock...no "hand fit" to it, no provocative shape...no wear/use pattern...just a rock.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Id keep it. Just in case its what they called a incised stone. I have never found one but that looks like one to me.

rockartmuseum

Jun 24, 2018
Grand Falls NB
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Portable rock art

This is typical of prehistoric portable rock art found globally - https://www.rockartmuseum.com The incision marks are carved symbols incisions.jpg .

Is this Sitting Bulls lodge? or am I seeing things? The perpendicular lines I can dismiss...but the triangle? No function to this stone so it has that against it...was someone killing time or is this natural?

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool rockartmuseum. What do you believe the markings represent?

jamus peek

May 13, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find! I do find unique incised markings that do not appear to be natural at places where i find artifacts. Your piece has wider channels then most incised rocks. I wonder if it is abstract Indian art or if there is meaning or possibly both.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I thought Sittin Bull was just in the movies. Learn something on here everyday. Congrats, that nice.

filmiracl

Nov 13, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Many people just post nonsense pieces, but yours is a little intriguing... With that said, I'm leaning towards not intentionally man made, but I can certainly be wrong. My logic is because the lines are so thick but I don't see evidence of multiple score lines (at least in the photo.) I can't imagine the sharpened edge of a knife, scraper, whatever could make such a mark so even without seeing multiple score lines from sawing back and forth. Also, there's another line following the curve of your finger... I can't imagine if someone was carving something into a rock, they would put a line right on the cusp of the edge. The lines are intriguing but I say not intentional.

bologna321

Bronze Member
Aug 26, 2017
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, Garrett Ultra GTA 500, Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'd have a hard time explaining the triangle with some natural force.... Cool rock

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread