Do you have a family treasure you hope/think is true?

RTigger2

Greenie
Feb 4, 2016
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Viper
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do have a treasure tale/search I am working on. I need some help, does anyone know how to solve criptograms?

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In a word cryptogram one letter is substituted for another. For example "the cat", may look like "dcf abd". The way you solve a cryptogram is to look for common words and word patterns. The word "the" comes up very frequently for example and a word that looks like this "xcbx" is almost always the word "that". Once you figure out what certain letters might be you plug them into the rest of the sentence and see if you can figure out other letters and words. There are cryptogram puzzle apps and books you can buy to learn how to solve them.

johnnycat

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2007
Mechanicsville, VA
Detector(s) used
Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My elders were born and raised in south central New Mexico. My great-great grandfather had a large ranch and was rather wealthy in his time. On his death bed he passed along a map to my great grandfather. The map was lost in a house fire in 1913. My father had a re-drawn map that he showed to one of my brothers. After many years of family research, (asking my uncles) we think!?? we know where the map was pointing to. However, a big Texas conglomerate now owns the land and entry is absolutely forbidden. Our family has gained entry 3 times in the last 40 years to tend to the family graves on the property. End of story.

OP
OP
B

bluecamel2015

Greenie
Mar 3, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My elders were born and raised in south central New Mexico. My great-great grandfather had a large ranch and was rather wealthy in his time. On his death bed he passed along a map to my great grandfather. The map was lost in a house fire in 1913. My father had a re-drawn map that he showed to one of my brothers. After many years of family research, (asking my uncles) we think!?? we know where the map was pointing to. However, a big Texas conglomerate now owns the land and entry is absolutely forbidden. Our family has gained entry 3 times in the last 40 years to tend to the family graves on the property. End of story.

What is the map supposed to lead to?

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arkanslaw
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900 / Garrett PropointerAT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Our family has gained entry 3 times in the last 40 years to tend to the family graves on the property. End of story.

That's part of your answer, I don't believe they can restrict you from maintaining a grave site because it is owned by the family. That should get you easement to the grave sites, beyond that you could be trespassing. It all depends on how strict they are, or if it's just to prevent them from being liable for hunting accidents and keep people from dumping. Start by regaining access to the grave site, mow it and plant some flowers. Then go for a walk to :dontknow: reconnect with your family heritage:3barsgold:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions