Do you save copper?

A/CMan

Apr 2, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would save them! They will never mint copper pennies again ! Save them for your grand kids

OP
OP
S

silversnacher

Jun 14, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess that is a good idea when I have grand kids it will probably be in like 40 ish years so they will be pretty cool then I guess...

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I personally hand picked an entire box of pennies for copper, it took FOREVER, I eventually asked myself, "why am I doing this?" and tossed them back.
of course there are people that strongly oppose me, I say don't spend your time sorting copper pennies.
HH
Buff

usandthem

May 19, 2011
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you can find a buyer it's a good way to get silver or gold for a cheaper price. I'm a little over half way to a one ounce AGE. I have bought pounds of silver using this method.

jnb1994

Mar 26, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My personal opinion on it is you should at least have a box of copper. How much is a 25 dollar investment really going to hurt? Anyone can afford 25 bucks and in a couple years or longer it could really be worth a lot, but will never be completely worthless. And if you can find a buyer then even better

minkybodl

Aug 19, 2011
Did you ever see this article which was posted here a few months back? If Laws Change, 'Penny Hoarders' Could Cash in on Thousands of Dollars - ABC News

Youngs' operation, the Portland Mint, is locked inside a secure facility that deals with armored cars -- selling and shipping to clients in every state -- and works in pennies by the ton. He said he has clients with deep pockets who are storing huge sacks of pennies and he has inquires from hedge funds.

"Just in face value alone, about $270,000 dollars [in pennies] right now," Youngs said. "That is just the face value, that is not even the copper value. The copper value is about three times that much."

IMHO I would say to get at least 100-200 saved then try to sell some of that as long as you have the funds and if not just try to sell the first 25-50 that you get. The number one rule of investing is to be diversified, silver and gold are good but a little copper surely can't hurt if you can afford it. People who put all of their eggs into one basket end up eating plain omelets. It always helps when you are selling something that you can say I have more of those if you want.

OP
OP
S

silversnacher

Jun 14, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lol just watched it on you tube a few minutes before I saw your post!

Uncleslick18

Oct 24, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
I do like 500 face in pennies a week. I've probably sorted out 100 face in wheats already, been doing it for like 6 months...

I look at it as saving my money, because I am horrible at saving. You can't go spend 100 dollars worth of pennies! So it just sits in the basement, so eventually I will either sell it for more than it cost me, or if worst comes to worst, just bring it to the bank and dump it in the coin machine and get the money back... The nice thing about the cents is that it's impossible to lose! If you have the spare dough that you don't need, why not tie it up so you can't waste it on worthless stuff??

Plus you can find lots of stuff you can make money on, like the wheats if you sell them right.. I also found my 10th steel cent and my 6th Indian head today.

Doing cents is a lot of work and is time consuming, but I have fun doing it...

sax player

Apr 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sell on Craigslist or eBay. Once you have completed one sale, you can continue a buying/selling relationship outside of eBay and avoid the fees.

Wouldent you loose $ on the shipping?
I can't even imagine the weight of a box of pennies and the postage you need to ship it...

Last edited:

baddbluff

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2011
vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
USPS flat rate shipping - if it fits, it ships. Just make sure u tape the HELL out of it! They have destroyed a couple of my packages... USPS sucks, & mark my words, they will be out of business in 5 yrs!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread