Do you travel on plane with your detector?

tamaco

Oct 16, 2013
southwest
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter 2000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

gunntekk1

Mar 19, 2005
Newport PA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Discovery 2200 and ACE 250, AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do but it always gives me a gold reading

gusser

Dec 23, 2013
Central Penna
Detector(s) used
copper dowsing rod and a smaller 1 for a pinpointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
CHECKED. Never any problems.

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I check mine in a well padded hard shell suit case. Never had a problem with damage and you get 2 bags with Southwest for free so it doesn't cost any extra.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you travel a lot, or have an expensive detector, buy one of those HARDCASE gun totes that are gorilla tough. You may get some questions at the ticket counter but it is THE BEST way to move it. If you carry-it-on, it must be stowed in the overhead, which may mean breaking it down. TTC

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Break it down. Put the rods in your checked baggage along with your digger and/or scoop and put the electronics and coil in your carryon. That way if your checked bag gets lost or stolen, you have only lost the least expensive portion of your machine. Big hard sided cases sometimes get set aside to go into the plane first or last. They also unload for pickup at a different spot than regular baggage claim. Many has disappeared while the person is waiting for their regular bag or never made it on to the right plane.

in case you are wondering, the TsA has seen plenty go through the security line in carry in bags and doesn't have issues with them.

jbrown

Jan 18, 2005
burlington new jersey
Detector(s) used
minelad excal whites spectrum whitexlt
I have been traveling with my detectors for about 15 yrs back and forth to Spain and never have had a problem. I check them and carry on. make sure you pack them well. HH:thumbsup:

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've done it both ways without a problem. Don't think about renting, I've never seen any place rent anything worth using on the beach.

Fourman110

Jun 22, 2013
Cedar Rapids IA area
Detector(s) used
Manticore
AT Pro
E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Followed SusanMN's plan for myFL trip yesterday. Electronics, coil and headphones in my backpack and everything else in checked. I know I treat my backpack we'll so it's safe. Watching the ground crew tossing luggage around, I'm not so sure I trust my investment with them..... Also the airlines insurance may not cover the electronics in the checked bag.

OP
OP
T

tamaco

Oct 16, 2013
southwest
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter 2000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for your replies. I'll check it in with my luggage. Thanks again :thumbsup:

golden sluice

Dec 16, 2013
next to disneyland
Detector(s) used
Thanks Kellyco, and Garrett:smile:... I love my AT gold metal detector!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hello, if your Metal detector is tagged and bagged, you should never have a problem... I would put a fragile sticker on it if its not a carry on.:headbang:

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm a fan of carrying on the electronics, just to ensure they don't get damaged or end up missing. Of course you would need to put the digging tools in checked baggage (think Lesche LOL).

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread