Does the simplex make an iron tone for gold sometimes?

globofgreen

Greenie
Jul 23, 2023
Oregon, near Portland
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I haven't been able to test any gold objects on my simplex+, but I'm wondering if gold can ever make an iron grunt or if it's fairly reliable that an iron tone will always be iron. Just paranoid about skipping so many 04 VDI iron tones. Does the simplex+ just make an iron tone for any target that is less than 10 on the VDI? Or can a target be less than 10 VDI but make a mid tone? I'm just confused as to how the tones and iron work.

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
I haven't been able to test any gold objects on my simplex+, but I'm wondering if gold can ever make an iron grunt or if it's fairly reliable that an iron tone will always be iron. Just paranoid about skipping so many 04 VDI iron tones. Does the simplex+ just make an iron tone for any target that is less than 10 on the VDI? Or can a target be less than 10 VDI but make a mid tone? I'm just confused as to how the tones and iron work.
Many available answers to that, unfortunately. My Simplex may find iron on any/all VDI. However, the clarity is usually better with the non-ferrous hits. The amount of gold, and purity affects the sound. If you can, take known gold (wedding band, etc) and check it with the Simplex. A $1 gold coin can VDI at 22. Some gold items can be in the 4 to 10 range.
Generally, the tone clarity is better if it is gold vs iron. It’s frustrating until you get used to it. Test some different items and listen to the values. Best wishes.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions