Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This 1929 $10 National Currency bill was issued by a tiny bank in a tiny coal mining town in Somerset County, PA. It does have some condition issues. I know very little about paper money and am hoping someone can give some insight as to rarity and value. Thanks.

Attachments

• 10 Dollar Bill - Front (1).jpeg
    10 Dollar Bill - Front (1).jpeg
    118.1 KB · Views: 79
  • 10 Dollar Bill Back.jpeg
    10 Dollar Bill Back.jpeg
    21.3 KB · Views: 78

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
a lot of folk collect those very specifically. Yes the value is determined by the condition and also the rarity. Check EBAY under sold listings for an approximate value of what folk may pay for it. Many collectors of those notes are looking for specific banks.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Even in that Condition , There is no reason you Should let it go For Less then $50.
You may be able to get $100 from a Collector from Central City . Most likely would take a Bidding War to get More.

If Central City was now a Ghost, Maybe :treasurechest:

no doubt There are Dealers online who would Scam People & Charge $500 or more But Try to Buy for fresh New $10 :laughing7:

Just My Opinion :coffee2:

Last edited:

teleprospector

Silver Member
Jul 8, 2007
The Motor City
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Extended Sensory Perception, L-rod, Y-rod, pendulum, angle rods, wand.
White's MXT, Garrett Ultra GTA 500, AT Gold, SCUBA Detector Pro Headhunter, Tesoro Sidewinder, Stingray, 2 box-TF900, Fisher TW-6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks all for the replies. I posted this bill for my friend Lindsey. I think she is going to hold onto it. The fact that this little bank was actually printing money is unbelievable. Today Central City is a tiny little town, although it may have been larger in the 1920s and 30s at the height of the coal mining boom in the area.

Last edited:

robertk

Bronze Member
May 16, 2023
Missouri
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
White's Spectra v3i
Garrett Ultra GTA 1000
Whites Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The fact that this little bank was actually printing money is unbelievable.
I agree it's a great find and great piece of history. But just FYI, technically, it isn't money. It's a receipt for money. That's why it says the bank will "pay to the bearer on demand ten dollars". All of the US paper money used to say something like that, because paper wasn't money -- gold and silver was money. These days the paper isn't really redeemable in anything but more paper. (If you want to have some fun with your local banker, try to redeem a federal reserve note sometime (paper dollars are federal reserve notes). Most bankers won't have a clue what you're talking about. But I had one bank manager come and apologize to me and tell me that they did not have enough actual cash on hand to redeem my twenty dollar note.)

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
While we are at it, if you don't already know... The federal reserve isn't the only ones that can issue bank notes in America... Even though "United States Notes" are no longer in circulation I do believe the legislation still exists to print them should the need/desire require it.

I have a great collection of small size banknotes, I love how they all basically "look" the same but have a red, blue, green, brown, yellow or combination of colored seals.

Having said all that.... i do have to say, my paycheck for years has been direct deposit.... what the heck? My money is just clicks on a computer? I get paid that way, pay my bills that way, use a credit card for nearly everything? Give me back gold and silver coins!!!!! I want to bite the edge to prove that it is real!

michael NY

Nov 4, 2007
USA
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Coinstrike, F70, Explorer XS, Sovereign XS, Spectrum, IDX PRO.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
$ 10 in silver I agree it's a great find and great piece of history. But just FYI, technically, it isn't money. It's a receipt for money. That's why it says the bank will "pay to the bearer on demand ten dollars". All of the US paper money used to say something like that, because paper wasn't money -- gold and silver was money. These days the paper isn't really redeemable in anything but more paper. (If you want to have some fun with your local banker, try to redeem a federal reserve note sometime (paper dollars are federal reserve notes). Most bankers won't have a clue what you're talking about. But I had one bank manager come and apologize to me and tell me that they did not have enough actual cash on hand to redeem my twenty dollar note.)
So, I guess I can't walk into a bank with my two 1932 $ 5.00 Silver Certificates and get $10 in silver :laughing7:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Silver certs after June 24, 1968 could no longer be redeemable in silver bullion.
Don in SoCal
Yep ! Would be very hard fo the Gov. to give someone a Dollars worth of Silver when the melt value of a Dollar is $17.5882 and a Dime
$1.6449 no one in Gov'mt wants to lose :coffee2:

& Todays dollar is worth $0.0614567

& forget about Gold Certificates !

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread