Dont assume its another CRHers dump when teller offers you $500 box from customer

kennedyfan

Jul 22, 2011
Detector(s) used
Bank Tellers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't assume it's another CRHer's dump when teller offers you $500 box from customer

I came close to coming up with an excuse to avoid getting the $500 (exactly) that a teller said a customer had brought in.

Glad I didn't!

One roll was a solid roll of 40% Kennedys! (My second solid roll in a week!) :headbang:

When you count the other silver in there - a couple of half-solid rolls, I got $23 face value in 40%ers. And one 1964 90%er.

Clearly, it was somebody's very casual "collection." A lot of carefully labeled "1976" rolls in there, in "grandma" handwriting.

Lesson: When a teller offers you $500, it might be something good! :thumb_up:

Attachments

• solid roll.png
    solid roll.png
    140.9 KB · Views: 108
Upvote 0

GEOFF

Aug 30, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you know its funny, i just called in and there is a 500 dollar box in one of the bank.......should i go buy them? hmmmmm....

MIhunter

Bronze Member
Jun 29, 2011
Southeastern MI
Good point kennedyfan, I get the urge to pass when the bank has more than $200 in CWR, but you never know.

Last week I picked up $650 in CWR from a bank. Many of the rolls had years written on them. I ended up with 6 40%ers. Not a huge hull but definately worth the effort.

Plug

Jul 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
just curious, do you guys ask specifically for cwr, or do you just ask for rolls and hope they turn out to be CWR?

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
just curious, do you guys ask specifically for cwr, or do you just ask for rolls and hope they turn out to be CWR?
You order boxes and ask for any rolls they may have on hand and take all you can get.

As far as a teller offering a $500 box... why wouldn't you take it? Hello?? :icon_scratch: There's no reason not to, unless you don't have the money to buy it.

OP
OP
kennedyfan

kennedyfan

Jul 22, 2011
Detector(s) used
Bank Tellers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

You mean ask in a way to distinguish rolls that customers brought in vs. rolls that they ordered from the Fed?

I wouldn't confuse the tellers that way. They probably wouldn't even know. I just ask for "fifty cent half dollars" (redundancy on purpose to help them understand, since some might know them as "fifty cent pieces" and others as "half dollars").

Also, to make it really easy on the tellers, I ask for "loose or in rolls". I've had many a time where they give me some loose ones, and then as an afterthought, suddenly realize that they have some rolls as well.

Don't make your tellers think too hard. Make it easy for them to give you halves. :-)

Mrs.CRH

Jul 15, 2012
Orlando, FL
Detector(s) used
My hands, ears, & eyes =D
Primary Interest:
Other
I personally ask for "customer wrapped dimes/nickels/halves". If I don't, they will bring me the machine wrapped crap. If they don't know what I'm talking about I simply educate them. If you work at a bank you should know what the difference is or you shouldn't work there at all. It is self explanatory.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions