Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always use UPS, as I am a retired delivery driver after 27 yrs. of service. There will be those on the forum who disagree or have had a bad experience with UPS also, but for the most part your package will make it thru a lot faster, and is handled better than the Post Office. You can also track it every step of the way, where the P.O. only allows a "semi tracking system". They will show it being picked up and delivered, but where is it in between ? Just my personal opinion.

Well I spent $93 shipping the GPX with $2000 insurance and 15" coil with $300 insurance at USPS today. Both were double boxed and heavily taped with good 3M shipping tape. I just hope I do not have to wait 3 months to have any claim handled.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
I ship art items. I make a box out of 1"EPS, that pink insulation, I then cover it with thick cardboard box material. I use the fiber reinforced packing tape. Everything is braced, nothing rattles. I have shipped USPS in a pinch with no problems and by UPS and FedX with no problems.

Fyi, UPS and FedX now have lower cost services that are delivered to post offices for final delivery.

Chipperi

Greenie
Aug 4, 2016
Piney Flats, TN
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505
Primary Interest:
Other
That really sucks....I believe you can ship with a post office hold...this way the reciever has to pick it up at the post office so he can decline the package or open it in front of them.

tracker_usmc

Oct 4, 2011
Lincoln,CA
Detector(s) used
Whites MX Sport, TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow that really sucks and I'm sorry to hear how bad you got screwed over. I've had a couple of friends that have had similar situations as you so I never use USPS for high value items anymore. I would take your complaint as high up the chain of command as you can.

100acre

Aug 10, 2016
Asheville NC
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Super Traq,
Garrett AT PRO w/ 5x8" coil
Garrett Carrot,
GG Amphibian HP,
40"ground shark
Keene A52 Sluice box
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used to be employed by UPS and it was our jobs early in the morning to unload the trucks and they may as well have been slave drivers as they didn't care how we unloaded them they just wanted them unloaded fast and I mean throw them fast; if it was fragile that meant frisbee I refuse to ship anything with UPS. Whenever I get packages shipped from them they are almost always damaged in someway.

Last edited:

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
I heard once from a classmate in tech school who worked at UPS unloading the trucks at night, and he said it was protocol to take lengthy packages and pry down walls of boxes. It was rush-rush.

Dr. Syn

Feb 15, 2011
Lakeland, Florida
Well how bout this one. Back on July 10th I ordered some parts from Hong Kong. Sent registered air mail. A week after it left HK there was no more tracking info.
So I file a missing parcel search. Don't hear anything till another week passes. then I see the package went straight to my PO, and is listed as undeliverable due to address. I track it down, and find one letter was wrong in my street name. All else, my name, my business name, heck even my phone number listed on the package was correct. Seems a sub had decided it was too much trouble to actually attempt a delivery.

Anywho, I finally got may package. Wait for it...

Couple days later I get an email saying they found my package and would deliver it the next day. Yeah right.

Wait for it again...

Today, over a month since I picked up the package, I got another email from the PO. They just wanted to let me know they are still searching for the package, and will update me when they find something out.

And we wonder why stuff gets screwed up or damaged?

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just for fun, since they have admitted they can't find the package, you should file a claim since it is apparently lost which is their policy rules! I know, that wouldn't be good karma so don't do it.

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A couple of years ago, I sent $1,000 worth of license plates (200 plates) to a guy in California via USPS. I spent $60 on shipping, which included signature confirmation. They delivered the package, but didn't get a signature and the tracking didn't show it as ever being delivered. The only reason I didn't lose $1,000 was because the guy who bought my plates was an honest guy and told me he got the plates.

Bottom line, insure the heck out of your valuable items when you ship them and make sure you have proof of the value of those items. It stinks that you have to insure items, but that's the only way the PO will take responsibility for their incompetent service.

woodstock

Feb 7, 2008
The Great Northwoods
Detector(s) used
F 75 Ltd ~ And many others
( I dont agree with this but, the insurance is to cover loss only, not damage. I think thats wrong.)

Now where did you get that false information ?? The insurance clearly states it's for loss or damages and I've collected on BOTH ... it's a big hassle and damages must be seen by the delivery person and most of us never take the time to inspect the contents before the driver leaves .... period ... end of story ... e'nuff said , woodstock

Last edited:

Keith Jackson

Aug 12, 2016
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
I recently bought a 50" TV that was "shipped" via UPS but was delivered by someone in a non-UPS looking van. They just leaned it up against the front of my house and left. When I brought the box in, the first thing I noticed was the big, black boot print in the middle of the flat side of the box. I was super nervous as I opened it but thankfully there were no issues with it.

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What this really comes down to is the final package delivery person (most likely not the person that destroyed the package) that delivers the package to the final destination obviously can see the package was damaged. The right thing to do would be to note it on the tracking information update. Funny that my package that was expected to be delivered on 22-AUG still shows its not even delivered yet on the USPS tracking system.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread