Jan 2, 2005
Western PA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I always try to take a different route and back roads if I'm on my way home from somewhere so I might be able to find new sites and I found an old looking house a few weeks ago. I finally got around to looking for an owner today, but the house is abandoned. I went to the nearest farm and got permission from that owner who cares for the property I was asking about. The guy I talked to was the living embodiment of Yosemite Sam from the old Bugs Bunny cartoons and it turns out his house was built in 1750.

Went down to the house in question and dug the 1943 Merc as my first target, but then didn't get any other coin targets for awhile (which was a very questionable 14-47 on my Etrac and ended up being a deep 53D quarter). Also dug an old pocket knife, some shears, a thin horseshoe, and a 1 lb counterweight. I don't normally revisit owners that don't live on-site when I leave, but I thought if I showed the guy what I found here I might get him to offer permission at his house too so I went back up. I got permission there, but then also got permission at two foundations on his property. One foundation is the birthplace of a notable local inventor (dates back to 1750s also), and there is another foundation near there that was a slave cabin. Apparently the cabin burned to the ground in or around the late 1700s with the slaves still inside. The guy says I have permission to go there whenever I want, but that he'll have to show me where they are the first time because they're out in the woods somewhere. I'm going to go hook up with him next weekend and see what it brings!

Attachments

• CAM00082.jpg
    CAM00082.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 154
  • CAM00083.jpg
    CAM00083.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 189
  • CAM00086.jpg
    CAM00086.jpg
    627.6 KB · Views: 143
  • CAM00087.jpg
    CAM00087.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 152
  • CAM00089.jpg
    CAM00089.jpg
    630.4 KB · Views: 147
Upvote 8
OP
OP
TrpnBils

TrpnBils

Jan 2, 2005
Western PA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Forgot about this one!

Attachments

• CAM00090[1].jpg
    CAM00090[1].jpg
    481.3 KB · Views: 155

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The cabin burned down with people inside it? How does that happen in a small one room cabin?

Creepy! Good luck and find all the good stuff!

OP
OP
TrpnBils

TrpnBils

Jan 2, 2005
Western PA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The cabin burned down with people inside it? How does that happen in a small one room cabin?

Creepy! Good luck and find all the good stuff!

No idea - if it was slave housing for all I know they could have been locked inside at night so no one could leave. Regardless, it's still two 1700s foundations!

Last edited:

kermit

Aug 9, 2005
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Whites V3I, AT PRO, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds......Love the big oak trees in the front and back yard.

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You sure that the cabin you looked wasn't moved to that location from somewhere else? Just don't look original to that spot. Might explain the later coins you found. Anyway, good luck on the new permissions!

Last edited:

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice job securing great permission! I'm sure you'll find some amazing stuff.

swamp yankee

Jun 22, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on finding a great detecting spot!I can smell the goodies from here so let us see 'em HH....

Nepa-Will

Nov 15, 2014
Northeast, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
XP Deus + 9" Coil
XP MI-6 Pinpointer,
XP WS4 Wireless Headphones,
XP Remote
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds! Looks like an awesome site. Looking forward to seeing what else you find there.

OP
OP
TrpnBils

TrpnBils

Jan 2, 2005
Western PA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You sure that the cabin you looked wasn't moved to that location from somewhere else? Just don't look original to that spot. Might explain the later coins you found. Anyway, good look on the new permissions!

Out of curiosity what makes you say it doesn't look original to there? I think it does, and have no reason to think that it wasn't original, but I can't put my finger on why there are no older coins coming out of there. I found a '54 Roosevelt today at the same place, but at the moment I can't get anything pre-1950.

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is a cool story. Pretty neat that you wouldn't think that an older hermit looking guy would be that nice and open for someone to do all that detecting.

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a cool story. Pretty neat that you wouldn't think that an older hermit looking guy would be that nice and open for someone to do all that detecting.

May explain the lack of older coinage and relics, he was nice to previous askers.

BruceS

Nov 25, 2014
Portland, TN
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold and Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sad that folks may have died there but still sweet finds. Part of the fun for me is researching the sites history.

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Out of curiosity what makes you say it doesn't look original to there? I think it does, and have no reason to think that it wasn't original, but I can't put my finger on why there are no older coins coming out of there. I found a '54 Roosevelt today at the same place, but at the moment I can't get anything pre-1950.

Oh, I'm not saying it's not and didn't mean to sound like a butt. Something about the grounds, grading, vegetation, or something. It may just be the way it looks in the pictures. I'm sure that if I was there, it might look completely different.

OP
OP
TrpnBils

TrpnBils

Jan 2, 2005
Western PA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Oh, I'm not saying it's not and didn't mean to sound like a butt. Something about the grounds, grading, vegetation, or something. It may just be the way it looks in the pictures. I'm sure that if I was there, it might look completely different.

No worries, I didn't take it that way. I'm definitely still learning things like that though so I thought maybe I was missing something obvious!

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad you found some silver.... sometimes you have to get through the modern stuff to get to the good finds. It may take a few trips to the site to find the hotspot. :)

OP
OP
TrpnBils

TrpnBils

Jan 2, 2005
Western PA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
....so this has been up here since Saturday and I just noticed this afternoon that I somehow got a 2nd "N" in "colonial" in the subject. I'm a teacher....this sort of thing bothers me and I can't edit it! :laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread