Downtown digs

rc2125

Feb 15, 2010
Indiana/Michigan border
Detector(s) used
~ XP Deus II & Nokta Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Scouted a spot in the vicinity of downtown this afternoon, noticed they were diggin down through not one, but two layers of cobblestone streets ,or sidewalks, to make a new parking area, figured I'd better hit it tonight , before the exposed ground gets buried again. This area is within the epicenter of 1820's to 1830's fur trade posts that were located within blocks, right along the st. joe river. After dealing with a bunch of slag and mud in one area, I jumped down into a deeper area that was slag and water free. Got a nice sounding signal, and found two large sized coins stuck together, no clue what they were, other than they seemed oddly heavy(was hoping for gold!). Put them in the pouch, couldn't wait to get home for a closer look and I.D.. Turns out, they are Mexican reales, one is an 1825 "8" reale and the other I can barely make out, pretty sure it's the same .........works for me ;D

2cad5da0.jpg

*yep, sold the etrac, call me crazy... we'll see how this works out

86f3e79c.jpg

*two stuck together

f60f26b5.jpg

8845d1d7.jpg

2cac58ef.jpg

Found these in another freshly dug spot a couple blocks away, (old building lot):

-some sort of old pin on thing
b17421e0.jpg

-token
*says AL W. Martins and something about greater uncle tom's cabin on the flipside
found this reference: http://digital.hagley.org/cdm4/item_viewer.php?CISOROOT=/p268001coll4&CISOPTR=5917&CISOBOX=1&REC=10

vibes

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2007
Northern Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1280x Aquanaut
Ry...how many times have I told you that ALL of South Bend is mine, mine, mine! :tongue3:

Nice finds!!!!!!!!!!

diggin jimmy hoffa

Oct 5, 2007
Somewhere in Michiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus for now
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
vibes said:
Ry...how many times have I told you that ALL of South Bend is mine, mine, mine! :tongue3:

Nice finds!!!!!!!!!!
That quote reminds me of a movie I once seen as a kid

Attachments

• daffy-duck-pic-2.jpg
    daffy-duck-pic-2.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 214
OP
OP
rc2125

rc2125

Feb 15, 2010
Indiana/Michigan border
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
vibes said:

Nice finds!!!!!!!!!!

I thought it was just the beaches? or was it both? This is getting complicated :tongue3:, we gotta come up with some sort of arrangement here :thumbsup:

jersey devl

Mar 2, 2008
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Tesoro: Cortes,Tiger Shark,& Vaquero
NICE! If Indiana had a banner that would get my vote,gotta be one of the best finds to come out of this area!

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds congrats.

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX, Pro 6000XL, SunRay Probe, Centech Pinpointer
Yep those are some cool finds right there. Get close to the river and the finds will get older and older....My pit digs would tell ya that for sure...Congrats on the great finds. :thumbsup: jgas

xGregx

Feb 13, 2008
Elkhart,In
Detector(s) used
-=XP Deus=-At Pro=-
The F75 Se is screaming deep, Just picked one up about a month ago..

Nice Finds!!

Greg

OP
OP
rc2125

rc2125

Feb 15, 2010
Indiana/Michigan border
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, it smokes my coin garden, even the extra deep dimes.

Found a neat bit of historical info about the cobblestone street where I found the reales, the lower layer was laid in 1888, these guys were patiently waiting to be found for 120+years.

Today looked like tear out sidewalks day in a few spots, also seen another freshly dug larger spot begging to get beeped this weekend, might need backup there....

diggin jimmy hoffa

Oct 5, 2007
Somewhere in Michiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus for now
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Rye,

Let's see the back of the Pin On Button thing you have there. I dug one last year on a sidewalk tearout and yours kinds' looks similar to it. I'll add a pic of it here at the bottom.

Is it slotted in the back with a "V" shaped slot to start with that narrows down?

If so, it may be a button cover and a nice one at that :icon_thumleft:

Attachments

• July_3rd_(2).JPG
    July_3rd_(2).JPG
    4.8 KB · Views: 117

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread