drilled morgan question???

deeptarget

Mar 16, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
my local pawn shop has a drilled morgan for spot. my gut tells me to buy, buy, buy but i dont know if the hole makes it worth less than spot cause of weight or if i would sell when silver is high if the venders just give me a price per coin? i am not a pro at buying silver so any help would be great. for 24 bucks i think its a good deal but the hole is taking me for a loop for some reason. please help!!!

Upvote 0

Sleazyj

Mar 2, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
See if they will give you a discount on it because it has a hole. Remember pawn shop prices are negotiable

PhattyB

Apr 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you sure it's drilled and not just had a nail driven thru it? If it was punched with a nail, the metal content would still be intact.

Either way, I'd probably buy it. Fiat currency is being worth less everyday, and that Morgan gains value every year.

OP
OP
deeptarget

deeptarget

Mar 16, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought it for 23.00$ the weight of it is 26.2grams. So I think I did good. My melt calculator says its worth 24.00 . Now it's a waiting game for silver to skyrocket :)

OP
OP
deeptarget

deeptarget

Mar 16, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
coin.jpeg

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
considering silver is currently at $31.66 per ounce, the coin without the hole in it is worth $24.48, You paid roughly $1.50 below melt, I would have personally bought a morgan dollar that is in decant shape for about $2 above melt, but that's just me :)
Thanks for posting the picture!
HH
Buff
Also, the morgan IS in decant shape, that's a plus, but the whole makes it worth literally melt.

OP
OP
deeptarget

deeptarget

Mar 16, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes this was the only Morgan they had and I was getting just for melt. Just was not sure If in a resell senerio if they go by coin or weight since this coin weighs less than a regular Morgan.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
they probrably wouldn't weigh the coin, buf just offer less than melt which they probrably would have done if the morgan was not drilled anyway. They may just try to offer a little less than what they would have offered if the coin were not holed.

OP
OP
deeptarget

deeptarget

Mar 16, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
did she cost more than 23 bucks? mine didn't.. lol

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
I would have personally bought a morgan dollar that is in decant shape for about $2 above melt. Also, the morgan IS in decant shape, that's a plus, but the whole makes it worth literally melt.

Did you mean decent?:p

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread