🔎 UNIDENTIFIED Dry Sluice worked for gems...

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well people, I think I've finally accomplished what I set out to do 8 or 9 years ago. I think I've built at least a dozen different machines in an attempt to get something I could use to recover diamonds and indicator minerals without water. Maybe twice that many. The number of hours I've spent thinking about this are countless. I had an idea that my dry sluice might finally hold the key. I recovered a few tiny garnets with the larger model in Wyoming last summer. But, I still wasn't convinced. The riffles weren't quite right, and tiny gems are easier. Today, using the backpack model which only has a 7" x 24" sluice, but with the new riffle design, I put 8 1/4" alumina abrasive spheres in 3 gallons of mixed dirt/gravel. About 20% gravel, and 80% dirt/sand/silt. The alumina spheres have a specific gravity of 3.5. In most of the west the SG of the background material is about 2.5. I've never before managed to separate anything of less than 10, or a 1:4 ratio. All 8 stayed in the sluice. That, for me is a real accomplishment. I think the combination of that riffle, and the particular motion I designed into the sluice has finally overcome the "Granular Convection" problem. This is going to open up a lot of gem country, where previously I had to screen, classify, haul buckets of gravel to a water source, to use the Pleitz jig, etc. I'm a happy camper this afternoon. And, it should work even better on heavy metals. I'm going to apply for a Provisional Patent to start with.
Jim

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That's outstanding Jim. Sounds like it was a tough bit of engineering! :occasion14:

Upvote 1
OP
OP
Jim in Idaho

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yup, Diz, I learned things, in this work, that I didn't even know existed before I started. It's been a long, frustrating battle, and I gave up a couple of times. I thought it couldn't be done. I'm a bit surprised myself. Finding those little garnets in Wyoming was a real surprise, and led to more resolve.
Jim

Upvote 0

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites, Fisher, Garrett, and Falcon.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Wow 9 years is quite the time span to work on such a project. Well done.
Good luck.

Upvote 1

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions